• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Memories of the 70s for "Gen Y""

Collapse

• Bee
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Obviously I wasn't an Abba fan, but I persuaded my sister to buy had all their records.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Obviously I wasn't an Abba fan, but I persuaded my sister to buy had all their records.

Leave a comment:

• Bee
    replied
    I remember:

I did not like to eat until 5 years old.
    Punching the boys at school.
    Superman movie.
    Close Encounters movie.
    ABBA

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    £51 chicken!

How much would items cost if they had risen in line with house prices? | This is Money

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    I was watching The Good Life from 1975 and in one ep. Jerry Leadbetter's salary was mentioned, £18,000. Now I looked on some website that worked out the equivalent current salary, was about £134,000 in today's money, which seemed a bit much to me. Especially as when I first started working in 1979, my salary was £6292 so broadly equivalent to £45,000 - can't be right for an 18 year old.

Unless inflation was so rampant in the late seventies it was really worth like 20k, even that seems too much.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Interestingly enough it was 6 quid a pint last night at Wembley and ten quid a burger

So based on that I would say southern house prices are about right.
    If you are talking about Wembley beer prices then you should be comparing it with London house prices. Nearly £500K for Wembley.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    The average house in 1971 was £5,632.

Now it is about £300K, so a pint should cost about £5.75 now, or house prices are overpriced.

Based on the pint being about £3.10, the average house should cost about £160K.

So either beer has become amazingly cheap, or houses have become idiotically expensive.
    Interestingly enough it was 6 quid a pint last night at Wembley and ten quid a burger

So based on that I would say southern house prices are about right.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    HR Puff'n'stuff!!

The Double Deckers!

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    The Saint
    Brady Bunch
    Heidi
    Columbo

Enid Blyton
    Nancy Drew
    The Beano

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    The UK gloating in post war nostalgia

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    70s. When Y fronts were introduced.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    snooker on TV was fun.

Ice on the metal windows. We had an oil burner eventually, we lived too far out for Gas.

this isn't as good as the last nostalgia thread!
    Aye, nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Memories of the 70s for "Gen Y"

Dirty books with women's parts covered with a big asterix. Got a shock when I saw my first real one....

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    More memories....

As the youngest, you were the TV remote
    White dog poo
    10p deposit on glass bottles of pop (these younguns and their recycling!)
    Football boots only came in black
    snooker on TV was fun.

Ice on the metal windows. We had an oil burner eventually, we lived too far out for Gas.

this isn't as good as the last nostalgia thread!

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    More memories....

As the youngest, you were the TV remote
    White dog poo
    10p deposit on glass bottles of pop (these younguns and their recycling!)
    Football boots only came in black

Leave a comment:

Working...
X