• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Farcical contract....."

Collapse

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    Seems like he dealt with it well, unlike you, who would have behaved like a hooker in the family wedding, prior to starting a thread whingeing on here.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Seems like he dealt with it well, unlike you, who would have behaved like a vegetarian in in butchers shop, prior to starting a thread whingeing on here.

Leave a comment:

• Ketto
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Good for you.

I had an interview at an IB a few years and got the gig. While in the role, I bumped into the guy who did the technical side of the interview and asked him for feedback. He said that his feedback to the hiring manager was simply that while LM is £50 more than the others, he's the only one who could do the project. I guess better contractors rely on better interviewers a lot of the time.
    I’ve been quite fortunate that recent previous clients have been more like that. I think the issue here is the budget holder was suffering from ‘Contractor gets paid more than me syndrome’, forgetting that the actual cost to the organisation of employing them is likely to be double what their salary is. Want to avoid being benched as the war chest is low due to buying our first house and the Mrs has turned into Laurence Llewellyn Bowen on me (good job I am better at controlling scope creep with clients than I am with her!). Anyway got three agent calls to return at lunch and I can negotiate home working or a favourable notice period here if they insist on a cut in order to extend. Sure it will be fine one way or the other.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    So when they were trying this did you respond at all or just say no?
    Seems like he dealt with it well, unlike you, who would have behaved like a vegetarian in in butchers shop, prior to starting a thread whingeing on here.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by Ketto View Post
    Said no and kept billing...
    Good for you.

I had an interview at an IB a few years and got the gig. While in the role, I bumped into the guy who did the technical side of the interview and asked him for feedback. He said that his feedback to the hiring manager was simply that while LM is £50 more than the others, he's the only one who could do the project. I guess better contractors rely on better interviewers a lot of the time.

Leave a comment:

• Ketto
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Said no and kept billing...

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
    I am past caring.
    No you are not.

It is called 'False belief'. You wouldn't be farting here if you really are past caring.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by Ketto View Post
    In a similar boat, taken on a three month contract having agreed a rate 65% higher than the advertised rate (which was ludicrously low).

A month in and the agent calls to say the client didn’t realise my rate was higher (Hmmm) and I need to drop by 65%. A few days go by and I get another call from the agent saying I need to accept the cut or the contract will be terminated. A few more days go by and then another call from the agent to say that the business manager who I am working with has had a meeting with the budget holder and they are now happy to pay the agreed rate until the end of the three months and they may want to extend on the same rate, a lower rate or not at all. I think they have realised that the guys on the lower rate haven’t got a Scooby what they are doing. The end date is now eight working days away so CV is online and I’m available the day after the existing contract ends.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    The only farcical contract I've ever had was at a comedy festival

Leave a comment:

• ClothCap
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Wilmsloooooooooooooooooooooooooooow!
    <Canned laughter>

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    Have you been in the hooker game long?
    I hear you gets easier
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
    The suspense continues.

Agent has given me a letter stating contract now ending from 15th April, but he told me that the client may well want me for either a bit longer, or for original contract duration. They don’t know what they want. Client was to have seen me but did not show up for either meeting and will not talk straight.

I am really not bothered either way which way is goes, but, FFS, I end in just over two weeks so need to be focussed on either seeing this turkey through, or to get looking for my next adventure.

Absolutely incredible. I am past caring, so just doing the hours, performing on demand. Demeaning is an understatement.

Probably best I do leave – if I am kept on I am in no frame of mind to deliver my all as I usually do, due to the chain yanking they are doing.

I could write a presentation on this....
    Ok

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    I am past caring, so just doing the hours, performing on demand. Demeaning is an understatement.
    Have you been in the hooking game long?
    I hear it gets easier
    Last edited by MrMarkyMark; 29 March 2016, 22:37.

Leave a comment:

• Ketto
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Hopefully you've struck a blow in that organisation for "you get what you pay for". Fingers crossed it forms part of their lessons learned process and you'll get the extension.
    We’ll see. There is a big go live in a couple of months and getting time with the business has been difficult due to staffing cutbacks so I can’t imagine the business manager will be too pleased if they have to get someone new in. I suspect the budget holder just views me as a higher number on a spreadsheet as she isn’t the one seeing the outputs. The commute is a pain in the neck so a contract closer to home wouldn’t be unwelcome.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    You've been given notice until the 15th April, any thing that changes that needs to be negotiated and the change of terms reflective

Leave a comment:

Working...
X