• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Brexit looming

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Brexit looming"

Collapse

• unemployed
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    I know Germans who buy stuff in those shops and I have as well.
    so your`re supporting our polski friends

at least the spocka and kabanosy is good

i avoid the Krakowska

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by unemployed View Post
    1.6m over nine years

No chance it's been 350k + per year at least.

Drive around London and count the polski sklep shops.
    I know Germans who buy stuff in those shops and I have as well.

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    That may be true but immigration has eased pressure on wages thus keeping them low. This is mor worrying EU Taxes and Regulations Killed British Steel Industry | Euro Guido
    Yes if the UK exits and raises import duty they will lose all steel industry forever as the rest of the EU has still the low import duty resulting in steel produced in the UK that cannot be exported, because it's too expensive.

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I somehow doubt this is true. Depending how long you've been there would most/many not qualify for residency?
    In general after 5 years one can apply for permanent residency however this is not always granted (convictions, no continuous stay, no source of income, etc)

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    That may be true but immigration has eased pressure on wages thus keeping them low. This is mor worrying EU Taxes and Regulations Killed British Steel Industry | Euro Guido
    The discussion on EU energy taxes is a valid one in the Brexit debate.

I suspect that in a future trade agreement we will probably continue to sign up to this in the context of a wider trading agreement with the EU. The EU energy market is important for British Industry who will wish to continue to do business, particularly as it will be much harder to export electricity to other countries such as India given the distances involved.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I somehow doubt this is true. Depending how long you've been there would most/many not qualify for residency?
    Doesn't mean they get work permits, pensions or healthcare though.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    I don't think even a loony-left Jeremy Corbyn UK Government would want a million pounds a day losing factory on its books just to say that it "saved" the British steel industry. The EU state aid rules make no difference in this case. And the EU's green rules are hardly forced upon us; if anything the UK has led the way.

It's another "blame the EU" story that's nothing to do with the EU.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    And over 2M Brits who live in the EU will have to return after Brexit if they don't get work permits, pensions and healthcare

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Actually if you look at the statistics, every year half a million British residents are exiting the workforce, either emigrating or retiring (i.e. not being replaced by young people). They're being replaced by half a million immigrants, non-EU and EU.

This won't change because a country with a huge debt can't afford to lose a half a million productive workers per year.

If this weren't the case how does one explain the fact that unemployment remains low in spite of the number of immigrants. Anyone who wants to limit immigration has to persuade the over 65's to come back out of their comfortable retirement. Interestingly it's the over 65's who want to limit immigration.

The above is the reason a Brexit won't change the amount of immigration.

I'm fairly neutral on Brexit or no Brexit simply because in reality it won't change anything, there's absolutely no way Britain can extricate itself from the EU. Even Nigel Farage believes in immigration. If he ever gets to be Prime minister he'll find himself as equally powerless reduce "headline levels".

Leave a comment:

• unemployed
    replied
    And over 2M Brits who live in the EU will have to return after Brexit if they don't get work permits, pensions and healthcare

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Actually if you look at the statistics, every year half a million British residents are exiting the workforce, either emigrating or retiring (i.e. not being replaced by young people). They're being replaced by half a million immigrants, non-EU and EU.

This won't change because a country with a huge debt can't afford to lose a half a million productive workers per year.

If this weren't the case how does one explain the fact that unemployment remains low in spite of the number of immigrants. Anyone who wants to limit immigration has to persuade the over 65's to come back out of their comfortable retirement. Interestingly it's the over 65's who want to limit immigration.

The above is the reason a Brexit won't change the amount of immigration.

I'm fairly neutral on Brexit or no Brexit simply because in reality it won't change anything, there's absolutely no way Britain can extricate itself from the EU. Even Nigel Farage believes in immigration. If he ever gets to be Prime minister he'll find himself as equally powerless reduce "headline levels".

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Poor bastards.

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied

Leave a comment:

• unemployed
    replied
    Originally posted by m0n1k3r View Post
    Of which around 180k per year is for university studies according to the ONS.
    yes those really long whole life courses

Leave a comment:

• m0n1k3r
    replied
    Originally posted by unemployed View Post
    1.6m over nine years

No chance it's been 350k + per year at least.

Drive around London and count the polski sklep shops.
    Of which around 180k per year is for university studies according to the ONS.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X