• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Brains / IQ and wealth"

Collapse

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    How could you ever recognise happiness without ever experiencing sadness?

People who are depressed are often very intelligent, they have a stronger real world view. And the world is an awful place right now. If anything they are more rational than most.
    Grey Munich weather and cramped one-bed flat getting you down, eh?
    Don't worry, something will turn up!

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
    It's a state. Like time it doesn't really exist continuously.
    How could you ever recognise happiness without ever experiencing sadness?

People who are depressed are often very intelligent, they have a stronger real world view. And the world is an awful place right now. If anything they are more rational than most.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    IQ is a dodgy concept - anyone who thinks it's real, has a low one
    Mensa declined your membership then?

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Actually, it hasn't. IIRC there has been shown a 5 point difference on average between those who classify themselves as religious and those who do not. This is not a strong correlation - you'd expect a smart atheist to understand what "strong correlation" means

Religion and politics transcend brains (take that how you prefer )
    Religion is a broad term. My reference was to the 'dogmatic' religious types. i.e. God talks to me on a daily basis. Buddhism, although without a God, I have a lot more appreciation of the followers.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Not as bad as recruitment agents.
    fair point

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Valuev, also a millionaire

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    Happiness is not a path, its a choice.

It's a state. Like time it doesn't really exist continuously.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Willapp View Post
    For me I think a lot of intelligent folk are also quite empathetic and less mercenary ...
    A lot of intelligent people are also ditherers, and too timid and indecisive to seize an opportunity when it arises.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Autistic types who are intelligent but hate the social scene
    Not necessarily autistic but the intelligent are less sociable according to this:

The stereotype of the mad, lonely genius might actually have some basis in reality.
    Intelligent people tend to crave ‘alone time’ – and are happier when alone even than with their close friends.
    This is the – disturbing – sign that someone is really intelligent | Metro News

"Social intelligence", the ability to interact with/manipulate/influence others, is probably more important than IQ in success.

PS I sit alone all day staring at the wall, so am definitely a genius.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 23 March 2016, 14:31.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    IQ is a dodgy concept - anyone who thinks it's real, has a low one

Leave a comment:

• MarkT
    replied
    I think there is a correlation with monetary success and emotional IQ though.

Autistic types who are intelligent but hate the social scene are very rarely happy, even if making huge numbers as an actuary or something.

See G Brown vs D Cameron. One highly intelligent but an appalling communicator, the other is David Flashman Cameron.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Not as bad as recruitment agents.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Willapp View Post
    In my experience the wealthy people I know (self-made) aren't especially intelligent but most of them are/were chancers who saw opportunities and (in some cases) weren't afraid to bend the truth or outright lie to get deals done, often at the expense of others.

For me I think a lot of intelligent folk are also quite empathetic and less mercenary so I think would be less inclined to make dodgy deals (whether out of morality or fear of getting caught) and this can lead to never becoming seriously wealthy, even though intelligent people would generally earn a higher wage.
    the worst are so called "intelligent folk" who are envious of those that are richer than they are and turn into leftie liberals. they believe they are superior and dislike the proles and the self made. many of these can be found in Universities, lawyers and public sector institutions.

Leave a comment:

• Willapp
    replied
    In my experience the wealthy people I know (self-made) aren't especially intelligent but most of them are/were chancers who saw opportunities and (in some cases) weren't afraid to bend the truth or outright lie to get deals done, often at the expense of others.

For me I think a lot of intelligent folk are also quite empathetic and less mercenary so I think would be less inclined to make dodgy deals (whether out of morality or fear of getting caught) and this can lead to never becoming seriously wealthy, even though intelligent people would generally earn a higher wage.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    The pursuit of truth has many riches, accumulating money isn't one of them.

Being an agent I prefer lies and riches to truth and poverty

Leave a comment:

Working...
X