• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "IR35 Direction and Control"

Collapse

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    - How old is the graduate?
    - M/F ? (Did not mean MF)
    - How desperate are you?

and all such questions...

HTH

PS - Core hours from 8 - 6 ?

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Sounds dead easy then - you do the hours you want and get him to do the others.
    Grad can do 8 till 10 and 4 till 6, with long lunch break.

You roll in at 10 and piss off home at 4, missing the traffic, no lunch break. Sounds perfect to me.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
    It is to cover 8-6 between myself and the boy wonder.
    Sounds dead easy then - you do the hours you want and get him to do the others.

Leave a comment:

• Wilmslow
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    OP - so basically client wants you to cover 8-6 between you? i.e. not work 8-6 every day?

Still a bit cheeky if you ask me though. I would hope client would have mentioned something like this at interview time (to be fair, in my experience they usually do).

But even worse if they know expect you to do 8-6 then its time to put your foot down. For some, including me, even with extra money offered it may well be a No thanks anyway if the commute was long.

I do like to see my kids from time to time....
    It is to cover 8-6 between myself and the boy wonder.

Although I have no kids, I do like to have some quality of life, and not to get stuck in traffic every working day. As the permies work from home on Fridays it could be a good opportunity to negotiate in my favour.

Accenture are on site and working ridiculous hours with questionable output from the usual not talking to people nicely – most of these guys have kids they hardly see. That is what you get from working with Accenture though I guess, which is why I actively avoid such cultures. Being a permie for a consultancy is the worst thing you can do.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    OP - so basically client wants you to cover 8-6 between you? i.e. not work 8-6 every day?

Still a bit cheeky if you ask me though. I would hope client would have mentioned something like this at interview time (to be fair, in my experience they usually do).

But even worse if they know expect you to do 8-6 then its time to put your foot down. For some, including me, even with extra money offered it may well be a No thanks anyway if the commute was long.

I do like to see my kids from time to time....

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Keep doing the hours you are now and assign the Grad to cover the hours you are not there. Simples.

If the grad isn't up to it that's their problem not yours. You are not responsible for staff training or making sure they are up to the job.
    Unless he gets it added into his contract/SoW and gets a rate increase.
    Should be seeing it as an opportunity to mould a PFY in his image.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Having a challenge – clientco want me to cover company core hours of 8-6 with a graduate assigned to me just a week ago with absolutely no experience and pumped of the company bravado. Contract is to cover hours anytime I like over the week.

If I worked local I would be more amenable to complying, but, I have a pretty bad commute which is why I start and leave early, as per my entitlement under the contract.

Has anyone successfully challenged direction and control? I am wary about the IR35, but the rate is decent, so if it comes to it I could stay in a hotel all week and just suck it up.
    Keep doing the hours you are now and assign the Grad to cover the hours you are not there. Simples.

If the grad isn't up to it that's their problem not yours. You are not responsible for staff training or making sure they are up to the job.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    No. If you'd read it properly, you'd have seen that the graduate was assigned to him, not the other way round.
    Give it 2 weeks and I'll be right.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    TL; DR but am I right in thinking you are unhappy the graduate has D&C over you and is treating you like an employee?
    No. If you'd read it properly, you'd have seen that the graduate was assigned to him, not the other way round.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied

Has anyone successfully challenged direction and control?.
    Of course they have.

Remember a young MF spearheaded such a campaign in the 80's

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    Having a challenge – clientco want me to cover company core hours of 8-6 with a graduate assigned to me just a week ago with absolutely no experience and pumped of the company bravado. Contract is to cover hours anytime I like over the week.

If I worked local I would be more amenable to complying, but, I have a pretty bad commute which is why I start and leave early, as per my entitlement under the contract.

Has anyone successfully challenged direction and control? I am wary about the IR35, but the rate is decent, so if it comes to it I could stay in a hotel all week and just suck it up.
    Bloomburg?

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Long hours, long commute, the rate would have to be spectacular.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    TL; DR but am I right in thinking you are unhappy the graduate has D&C over you and is treating you like an employee?

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    If your core hours are a 10 hour day, then negotiate a 50% increase to cover the extra effort.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Core hours are 8 to 6?

Is this a change of contract? If so, renegotiate new terms and rates.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X