• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Is it worth working?"

Collapse

• seanraaron
    replied
    Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
    Many a contract has been to take a monster spreadsheet that has become unmanageable and create a bespoke system (multi user web app usually) that they should have done in the first place.
    I'm talking basic stuff like a runbook for software deployment. You've got a cell with an entire list of instructions - the damn thing isn't made for that: stick a table in a word doc if you must have tables, at least I can scroll through that or print it!

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Is it worth working?

Deleted - misread the post

Leave a comment:

• unemployed
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    So, according to the Mirror, if you earned 30k in 2001, you should be on around 40k now, not 45.
    sounds fair enough try getting it though .

2001 i was on that and about 20k of call out and overtime payments also not bad at 23

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by I just need to test it View Post
    aside

If I wasn't working I'd have missed out on that schoolboy delight a moment or two ago that comes with realising that instead of filling a few cells in a spreadsheet with TEST1, TEST2...TEST9 my fingers had overshot the E and S keys, landing instead on W and A.

File this under "You had to be there".
    KUATB:
    http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...unt-order.html

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    Originally posted by seanraaron View Post
    I am so tired of spreadsheets being used for things have nothing to do with calculations...

Many a contract has been to take a monster spreadsheet that has become unmanageable and create a bespoke system (multi user web app usually) that they should have done in the first place.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    So, according to the Mirror, if you earned 30k in 2001, you should be on around 40k now, not 45.

Leave a comment:

• seanraaron
    replied
    I am so tired of spreadsheets being used for things have nothing to do with calculations...

Leave a comment:

• I just need to test it
    replied
    aside

If I wasn't working I'd have missed out on that schoolboy delight a moment or two ago that comes with realising that instead of filling a few cells in a spreadsheet with TEST1, TEST2...TEST9 my fingers had overshot the E and S keys, landing instead on W and A.

File this under "You had to be there".

Leave a comment:

• seanraaron
    replied
    Originally posted by NibblyPig View Post
    Not as a developer, he should be on 50-60k by now, and that's not even in London.
    I meant given he stayed with the same firm. If he'd change jobs absolutely he should be getting more.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Not as a developer, he should be on 50-60k by now, and that's not even in London.
    Where is that then? Certainly not in Manchester.

Salary should climb by the highest percentage from 20-30 years of age imo as you gain skills and experience at a higher rate, partly due to sheer enthusiasm.

Leave a comment:

• unemployed
    replied
    should of drove a train for a living

Leave a comment:

• NibblyPig
    replied
    Originally posted by seanraaron View Post
    That's a pretty impressive increase actually!

Leave a comment:

• seanraaron
    replied
    I did the same, my career is something like 6 mo, 5mo 1yr, 1yr, 6mo, 2yr, contracting. Each job was a healthy salary increase. I still have a mate working at the first gig, his salary over the past 6 years went from something like 16k to 25k.
    That's a pretty impressive increase actually!

Leave a comment:

• unemployed
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    It's hardly affluent but food on the table and a roof over your head is nice... maybe move away from London?

great we found the answer

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by unemployed View Post
    its not much though is it , minimum wage in london really needs to be around this figure

i don`t claim benefits never have
    It's hardly affluent but food on the table and a roof over your head is nice... maybe move away from London?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X