• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Trains in the winter :-("

Collapse

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    There is no definite definition of the Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter. You are proposing an astronomical split.

When does spring start? - Met Office

Both are correct. I prefer the Meterological system, since the start of a season is the same each year.

The Aussies start Spring on 1st of March, which I reckon is just like all racehorses having their birthday on 1st January. I always used to think of the seasons as being symmetrically distributed around the relevant dates, e.g. the Summer Solstice, alias Midsummer's Day, is the middle of summer. But I was converted to the American Way, where these astronomical dates are the start of the respective seasons. If you care about daylight, the Astronomical definitions are right; if you care about weather, the American ones.

Leave a comment:

• moggy
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    It was someone having a tulip behind the bush.

Funny thing. The Swiss railway network was built by British engineers (which is why the trains travel on the left, rather than the right). But somehow they manage to work quite well in winter. One April, we had a couple of feet of snow overnight, and the while there were a few delays and cancellations, there was no mass disruption.
    I would imagine the Swiss are a little more used to seeing snow rather than the 2 weeks worth we get every two years though.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Hey.. Look... Over there... Behind the bushes... It's someone that gives a tulip... Oh.. No it's not. It's another bush. Sorry.. Carry on.
    It was someone having a tulip behind the bush.

Funny thing. The Swiss railway network was built by British engineers (which is why the trains travel on the left, rather than the right). But somehow they manage to work quite well in winter. One April, we had a couple of feet of snow overnight, and the while there were a few delays and cancellations, there was no mass disruption.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by moggy View Post
    Have you been to Newcastle?
    No. Should I?

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    I hate to be argumentative - no, really - but Spring really begins at the Equinox, so we are still in Winter.

Well actually I'm not but that's another point, I'm off in the tropics spending the kids' inheritance, but don't tell PurpleGorilla.
    But my WH Smith weekly view diary states that we are now in Spring, so I am going with that

Leave a comment:

• moggy
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    We are not in Spring until the women are walking round wearing next to nothing.
    Have you been to Newcastle?

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    I hate to be argumentative - no, really - but Spring really begins at the Equinox, so we are still in Winter.

Well actually I'm not but that's another point, I'm off in the tropics spending the kids' inheritance, but don't tell PurpleGorilla.
    There is no definite definition of the Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter. You are proposing an astronomical split.

When does spring start? - Met Office

Meteorological spring will begin on 01 March 2016 and ends on 31 May 2016.

The meteorological seasons consists of splitting the seasons into four periods made up of three months each. These seasons are split to coincide with our Gregorian calendar making it easier for meteorological observing and forecasting to compare seasonal and monthly statistics. By the meteorological calendar, spring starts on 1 March.

The seasons are defined as Spring (March, April, May), Summer (June, July, August), Autumn (September, October, November) and Winter (December, January, February).
    Both are correct. I prefer the Meterological system, since the start of a season is the same each year.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    Only in the winter (title) ?

And not wishing to be picky we are officially in Spring now...
    We are not in Spring until the women are walking round wearing next to nothing.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Things that PC could do in 3.5 hours

3.5 hours is enough time to read 80% of The Hobbit.

Coincidentally, The Hobbit is a tale about a bewildered halfling completely out of his element going on a journey.

Spooky

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied

This is true. Having done this commute off and on for a good few years now at different clients this particular line (Severn Valley) is prone to flooding mainly in the winter.

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    Hey.. Look... Over there... Behind the bushes... It's someone that gives a tulip... Oh.. No it's not. It's another bush. Sorry.. Carry on.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    9 mile cycle takes 45 minutes every day.

Provided one does not get some pedestrian jumping in front of you and causing a pile up.....
    If he's in the bush having a dump, it's unlikely.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Hope you'll only be invoicing for half a day and will be apologizing to the client for your tardy timekeeping.
    I would ask my accountant first.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Winter - Frozen points
    Spring - Snow, flooded tracks
    Summer - Warped rails due to heat
    Autumn - Leaves on the tracks, flooded tracks

I blame climate change. Maybe if we banned trains, removed the CO2 they cause, they'd run on time?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X