• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "oldest computer game"

Collapse

• DaveB
    replied
    A bizzare little game called Snarks on a home brew box of unknown pedigree owned by my O' Level maths teacher.

The game invoved farming little creatures, Snarks, by corralling them with boulders and getting them to bump into eachother and so reproduce. All donme using the ASCII charecter set. Never seen or heard of it since.

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill
    Go on then Jules, which ones?
    "Burger Time" I would have thought.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded
    They had some racing game on the train describer on't'railway. That was a machine booted from a punch tape, and the "race" was in the form of a commentary printed out.

Never played it myself, have never found computer games appealing. Worked on some, but played, no.

Go on then Jules, which ones?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I like playing hide-n-seek in my gold vault.

threaded.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by Fortune Green
    I mentioned that a few days ago - the arcade version. Good game.

I played ADVENT on a PDP11-23 in 1978. And a flight simulator.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Best I can claim is Kingdom on the BBC Micro. About 40 kids trying to look at the one beeb that the school had one lunchtime. I guess that was probably about 82.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    I was in school in the early 70's when they connected a telex machine to an old phone via some old rubber ear-muff thing to Norwich university. We played Golf on it and were entranced.... ("angle = 45 degrees - speed 1 to 10" etc)

Leave a comment:

• Fleetwood
    replied
    Originally posted by Francko
    The first available for home was the ping pong (that was mid-late 70's if I recall,
    Pong
    1973*
    hth

(A good year.Tales from Topographic Oceans,Aladdin sane, Houses of the Holy,For Your Pleasure,Space Ritual,Sabbath Bloody Sabbath,dark Side, Larks' Tongues in Aspic etc etc)

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    They had some racing game on the train describer on't'railway. That was a machine booted from a punch tape, and the "race" was in the form of a commentary printed out.

Never played it myself, have never found computer games appealing. Worked on some, but played, no.

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by mrdonuts
    whats the oldest computer game anyones played

i've played golf on a burroughs line printer circa late 70's
    The first available for home was the ping pong (that was mid-late 70's if I recall, I think it was before lunar lander). Late 70's also I played the first videogame you could play on the independent machines with a big screen (the arcade machines) which was Space Invader. Would like to see if anyone can correct me! The video had the green phosphors with the terrible beeping sound going faster as the aliens approached.

Leave a comment:

• zathras
    replied
    Star Trek

On an ICL Mainframe teleprinter.

When I got access to a Harris Minicomputer wrote a multi-user version in the Harris version of Basic.

Leave a comment:

• mrdonuts
    replied
    hard to believe you dont play them then

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    I don't play computer games. They are for children and social retards.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• mrdonuts
    started a topic oldest computer game

oldest computer game

whats the oldest computer game anyones played

i've played golf on a burroughs line printer circa late 70's

Working...
X