• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What do you think? Borrow more debt or not?"

Collapse

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    How do you know that the eggs aren't fertilized?

We don't have a cockerel.

Our chickens have their wings clipped so they can't fly very far (you clip one wing on each bird so when they take off they go round in circles).
    The nearest cockerel is 2 gardens away. He has his wings clipped and he has 15 lady chickens to, um, enjoy. He's not interested in ours.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    <snip>
    But fresh eggs are the best.
    How do you know that the eggs aren't fertilized?

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    And you get to eat them afterwards.

Could we get even more off topic I wonder....

Nope, layers have next to no meat on them.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Don't believe everything you are told!

For a commercial farmer a chicken reaches it's peak laying at 18 months, from that point onwards they might not lay 1 egg per day, so they are no longer commercially viable. Send them off for dog food. This is where the BHWT come in.

For a smallholder/garden, chickens can live up to 12 years old. One of ours from BHWT is about 5 (we've had her 3.5 years) she lays 4-5 eggs per week. The other 2 (was 3 until one died at the weekend) are now about 3 years old and are laying 5-6 days a week.
    We try to avoid giving them any antibiotics/drugs and they generally look after themselves. They will eat all the worms in your garden and will annoy you if they are out of their run when you are digging.
    But fresh eggs are the best.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Many thanks WTFH.

I was told hens typically live for only about two years. So if they are 18 months old when I buy them, they won't be laying for long!

Mind you, at only £2 each I suppose even laying for a few months is worth it.
    And you get to eat them afterwards.

Could we get even more off topic I wonder....

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    We get our chickens from:
    National Charity re-homing commercial laying hens and encouraging support for British farmers

If you're just wanting layers, they charge a couple of quid per bird, they are around 18 months old and will lay for a few years. ...
    Many thanks WTFH.

I was told hens typically live for only about two years. So if they are 18 months old when I buy them, they won't be laying for long!

Mind you, at only £2 each I suppose even laying for a few months is worth it.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    The garden, yes. I have over a dozen kinds of edible fruit trees, and a potato and rhubarb patch, and plan to start keeping chickens.

We get our chickens from:
    National Charity re-homing commercial laying hens and encouraging support for British farmers

If you're just wanting layers, they charge a couple of quid per bird, they are around 18 months old and will lay for a few years. You'll maybe get 5-6 eggs per bird per week in the summer, down to about 4 in winter, cause they lay when it's light.

Most expensive bit is the house - if you buy a cheap one (<£200) it will probably last 2 winters max. Spend £400+ and you'll get something that should last around 10 years.

Leave a comment:

• seanraaron
    replied
    Originally posted by ClothCap View Post
    - Instability; you can be out with short notice
    This is the part I find the most amazingly crap about renting in this country: sixty days notice without any justification required. Thankfully that's one of the major purposes of the new renting bill in the Scottish Parliament. You'll probably have less people in social housing (not that there's anything intrinsically wrong with that) once the spectre of no-cause eviction is gone. I certainly wouldn't have been looking to move last June if I'd had a choice.

Leave a comment:

• ClothCap
    replied
    We own a few properties yet we find it better to rent them out and then rent somewhere ourselves.

It sounds crazy (and it probably is) but the advantages to us are:

- Rent in gives us a surplus over the rent out
    - We can live in a nicer are than if we just bought there. Ok we could stump and buy but the debt involved is scary and then we are stuck there. If a load of undesirables move into the area we can just give notice and move on.
    - It encourages us to have less stuff which appeals to the minimalist in me
    - When the sales are on the wife and I no longer get the urge to start hoarding crap
    - I hate DIY
    - All property maintenance costs are on the rental properties which attract tax relief
    - We can upsize and downsize quickly and without all the fees associated with house purchasing.

Disadvantages

- Landlords can be crap
    - Instability; you can be out with short notice

Not for everyone I guess but makes sense for us. If there was such a thing as a secure financial investment then I suppose we wouldn't need to play around with all this buy to rent palaver but its a funny old world.
    Last edited by ClothCap; 20 February 2016, 21:16.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    'We've got £80,000 in student debt. Can we borrow £100,000 for our first home?' - Telegraph

I wonder how many iCrap products they have and how much they spend on Sky TV and other such tulipe?
    I wonder when the last time either of these hipsters had a beer was.

46k a year between the 2 of them so what they are team leaders at the local fast food stores??

Fook cnuts

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    They need to do things properly. Get themselves a £600K mortgage on a starter bedsit.
    Exactly. Its hard to get a parking space for £100k these days.

Leave a comment:

• seanraaron
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    And yet you can't be bothered to buy the roof over your head, you're hoping someone else will be forced to provide it under conditions that suit you.
    Why are lefties so feckless?
    I'm paying rent so sod off.

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Borrowing debt? Isn't that getting a loan for a negative amount? Probably makes sense in these days of negative interest.

A CDO can be borrowed can it not? I guess that would be borrowing debt.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by seanraaron View Post
    Thankfully you'll be living in a house you can eat, right?
    The garden, yes. I have over a dozen kinds of edible fruit trees, and a potato and rhubarb patch, and plan to start keeping chickens.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Maybe if she ate fewer pies they'd have more money?
    FFS at what point did being morbidly obese become normal?
    At least you know what she spent the student loans on now.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X