• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Ooops

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Ooops"

Collapse

• NibblyPig
    replied
    We have phones but we hate using them. I don't place orders over the phone any more. I don't even order from my local chinese on the phone anymore. I don't do my banking over the phone, pay my bills over the phone, etc.

FWIW I use a plugin called fbpurity that helps remove half the tulip that facebook has on it. When I use the app on my phone I am surprised at the amount of crap I've been oblivious to.

I am tempted to make 2 accounts, one with world+dog on it so I can see what they're up to, and another one for people I actually give a tulip about, so I don't have to scroll through retarded baby photos etc.

Who knows though.

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied
    Originally posted by NibblyPig View Post
    Choo choo all aboard the bash facebook train, collect your mallets at the door.

Facebook lets me see what people are doing (and if they're as successful as me), what my relatives and close friends are doing, what events are going on in my city that I can attend, what my friends are doing that I can get involved in, and a bit of light relief with humorous pics and statuses. I also use it to crowd source answers to stuff like 'does anyone know a good strippergram in the swindon area' ('yes, <insert posters name>s mum').

The only way to get those things without facebook is to go back to the 1990s. Because if you abandon facebook, no-one else will, and you'll be on your own with only a sense of smug satisfaction to keep you company.
    I use it because one guy I know isn't in communication any other way. And I post a joke about once a fortnight on there for my (distant) brothers/sisters/nephews. And no more. Another friend posts a lot of stuff and it is sort of interesting - not just the colour of his last wee, but pictures of his running events. A nephew posts info about his band and upcoming gigs, but no details of his personal life. These are all pretty fair uses of FB.

But FB needs people to over-share in order to generate page churn. Many/most users seem to share their whole lives and their every smallest opinion on everything, which I find very boring. And it's false. They never share their failures. IMO this was caused by FB introducing the "news feed" style many years ago. Before that it was a place to post and share. Now it is a place for a running commentary on your life, a mashup of some life you would wish to lead. But some people seem to find it satisfying, so live and let live.

Share less, and only the interesting/non intimate stuff!

Leave a comment:

• NigelJK
    replied
    Facebook lets me see what people are doing (and if they're as successful as me) fail to see the significance of this 'I'm at work' 'so am I' , what my relatives and close friends are doing if it was important, and you needed to know, you would. We've had telephones for ages you know, what events are going on in my city that I can attend If you were genuinely interested you'd know, and not surprisingly you'd have booked., what my friends are doing that I can get involved in see above re the telephone, and a bit of light relief with humorous pics and statuses How old are you?. I also use it to crowd source answers to stuff like 'does anyone know a good strippergram in the swindon area' ('yes, <insert posters name>s mum').I've never had an issue employing the services of any trades person or service before now, fail to understand what 100,000 people who only have an invested interest in a single outcome has to do with it
    The missus spends hours 'talking' to her children/sisiter on faceache. I get snapped at if I suggest the phone of heaven forbid a bit of Skype/Facetime.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck
    replied
    What is Facebook?

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    The majority of people who complain about facebook, don't really know how to use it.

Get too many game requests, block the games/apps
    Get too many notifications, turn some of them off
    Get too many status from dwama queens, mute them

Its not rocket science!
    One problem is that some pages act like sleeper spammers on forums; nothing for months then suddenly blam! updates every 15 minutes.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Similar, but with much more effort going into trying to impress other people.
    Yeah - it's the inflated job titles on there that piss me off. Everyone is a President of this or Guru of that when the reality is they're doing some data conversion on an industrial estate in some godforsaken backwater hellhole.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied

Facebook lets me see what people are doing (and if they're as successful as me), what my relatives and close friends are doing, what events are going on in my city that I can attend, what my friends are doing that I can get involved in, and a bit of light relief with humorous pics and statuses. I also use it to crowd source answers to stuff like 'does anyone know a good strippergram in the swindon area' ('yes, <insert posters name>s mum').

The only way to get those things without facebook is to go back to the 1990s. Because if you abandon facebook, no-one else will, and you'll be on your own with only a sense of smug satisfaction to keep you company.
    The majority of people who complain about facebook, don't really know how to use it.

Get too many game requests, block the games/apps
    Get too many notifications, turn some of them off
    Get too many status from dwama queens, mute them

Its not rocket science!

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied

Which is why I'm not looking to just dump it.

The problem is that it's bloated. It may be because I've simply not taken the time to figure out the best way of stripping out everything that I don't use in it.

Leave a comment:

• NibblyPig
    replied

Leave a comment:

• NigelJK
    replied
    [QUOTE]Facebook is becoming less and less appealing as the years go by. /QUOTE]

Not bad going for something that has zero going for it (for normal non-poseurs) from the off.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by MicrosoftBob View Post
    So you can be a Jihadi and/or Paedo on Facebook and it's fair game, but Viz is taken off

It shows their priorities, don't upset the ROP or the paedo establishment
    WTactualF?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    I usually try to defriend people so they can't defriend me first.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    Anyone else thinks LinkedIn is becoming more like Facebook?
    Similar, but with much more effort going into trying to impress other people.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Anyone else thinks LinkedIn is becoming more like Facebook?

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Dumped Facebook few years back absolutely not missed it.

I guess we will all have to accept democracy or face the consequences

Leave a comment:

Working...
X