• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The Farce Awakens..."

Collapse

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Let's just cut all the benefits apart from to the disabled and vulnerable elderly. Food stamps for the destitute. See if they still flock over when you get f all.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
    The benefits vary so wildly. It is not a fair deal for the UK, Sweden etc and a pretty excellent deal for everyone else.
    Then it's the UK, Swedish etc governments' fault not the EU.

Even Germany partially falls in this trap which is why a Romanian lady tried it on in the European court of Justice* and lost.

If benefits are universal in a country then all EU citizens that are resident in that country must have them. If there is a residency or contributory requirement then all EU citizens including that country's citizens must fulfill the requirement.

Spain is broke plus is now liable for paying for the social and health care of an increasing amount of elderly British ex-pats.

*This is different from the European Court of Human Rights which we are stuck with whether we are in the EU or not.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by meridian View Post
    Wait, what? I don't get this, are you saying that the Polish Guy working here is claiming child benefit here, whereas the Brit living in Spain is also claiming here and not in the country in which they are living?
    yep the Brit family living in France with the Wife popping over here to work here can't claim any child benefits just like the Polish plumber with the wife & kids back in Poland.

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Under EU directive all EU citizens must be treated equally in claiming benefits.

In countries with a contributory or length residency qualification this isn't a problem.
    The benefits vary so wildly. It is not a fair deal for the UK, Sweden etc and a pretty excellent deal for everyone else.

For those EU people working as an 'autonomo' (us contractors [for sake of argument I'll pretend I still am one]) in Spain over the past years the deal was not good. Pay full whack income tax & social security benefits for several years and receive your unemployment benefits of €0.

Recently to appease the EU for additional contributions of 14€ the autonomo can claim around 589€ for a limited time, between 2 and 12 months depending on how long the additional contributions have been made. But you cannot claim if you end your business "voluntarily"; the system is new so it is uncertain how voluntary will be defined in this context. Lose your only client? Look for another one.

Then watch your health cover disappear within 6 months.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    I don't really see why Europe should have a say in the UK benefits system.
    Under EU directive all EU citizens must be treated equally in claiming benefits.

In countries with a contributory or length residency qualification this isn't a problem.

However the lying governments of the UK, past and present, refuse to put residency length requirements in the various benefits legislation as they think there will be a backlash.

So it's not the EU telling us what to do it's the politicians who govern us being too thick to think of residency rules that would allow 95% of British citizens qualify but 95% of new EU arrivals not to.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    I don't really see why Europe should have a say in the UK benefits system.

In fact if it was used correctly you could incentives the right people at the right time to aid the country.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
    Next we will have a month of the EU pretending Dave has been tough and playing hard to get then rubber stamping his nothing agreement
    and his colleagues pretending to be Euroskeptic before, now claiming that this such a great deal they have changed their mind.

Leave a comment:

• ZARDOZ
    replied
    He hasn't really got a deal has he?
    It's a bit like having a substitution clause in a contract.
    Almost impossible to implement.

Plus what about out of work benefits? That must cost us more.

Smoke and mirrors from a man who couldn't get a deal at the DFS sale.

Next we will have a month of the EU pretending Dave has been tough and playing hard to get then rubber stamping his nothing agreement
    Last edited by ZARDOZ; 3 February 2016, 15:49.

Leave a comment:

• seanraaron
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Yeah I don't want to be robbed.
    But you're already being robbed, goddam bent-banana thieving, Eurocrat, razzle-frazzle?!*#%

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    agree with that, however we need to avoid having those at the bottom starve.
    Yeah I don't want to be robbed.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    What was it Charles I yelled at Prince Rupert after the latter lost some battle in the English Civil War?

"You promised mountains, yet you delivered mole hills!"

I suspect we'll be hearing that saying more than once in the coming weeks ..

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    The tax credits ask 'how may children do you have' not 'how may children do you have living permanently in the UK'. The Polish Guy honestly says 2 and gets tax credits meant to support children in the UK whilst his kids are back home in Poland. We just need to change the tax credit form, those brits with kids living in Spain or France etc will have to claim for them in the country the kids are in.
    Wait, what? I don't get this, are you saying that the Polish Guy working here is claiming child benefit here, whereas the Brit living in Spain is also claiming here and not in the country in which they are living?

Leave a comment:

• seanraaron
    replied
    "Everyone loves the taste of Soylent Pies, proudly made in the UK!"

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by diseasex View Post
    Things different, I know. But maybe changing the welfare system is the key and put some of that child breeding lazy families to work ?

Leave a comment:

• diseasex
    replied
    Don't forget you do have generous system in place. In poland for example, you need to work at least 6 months to be able to claim anything. How would that sound if we were requiring 4 years from foreigners and 6 months from poles?

Things different, I know. But maybe changing the welfare system is the key and put some of that child breeding lazy families to work ?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X