• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "A good time to be buying a house?"

Collapse

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

That you?
    That's me. Always running away with the fine woman.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Theres no pleasing some people!

I think i might view. I could be Mr Darcey

That you?

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    This one has a nice view, overlooking the Welsh Riviera.

4 bedroom detached house for sale in Llwynmawr Close, Swansea, Swansea (County of), SA2, SA2

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Theres no pleasing some people!

I think i might view. I could be Mr Darcey

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    now you are talking.

Do they not show pictures of bedrooms or the view out of the window in German listings?

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Funky aga thingy

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Perhaps this is more your thing

Köchelstorfer Mühle mit privatem See Engel & Völkers Property Details | W-023MWF - ( Germany, Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania, Nordwestmecklenburg (Kreis), Köchelstorf )

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    nice stair lift & bathroom. like the front door

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Luvly

11 Zimmer Haus zum Kauf in Aachen-Haaren mit ca. 736 qm Grundstücksfläche (ScoutId 85859743)

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Indeed. If an commodity like oil can crash from $110 to $30 I'd be concerned holding a similar commodity like property, which it is not normally referred. London property is used by investors not people in search of a home.

You'll here the squeals from Saturn when it crashes. Should be fun.

Yup, there's no doubt that property has become a major asset class and will behave as such in a downturn, albeit with different lags than other assets. London is particularly exposed on the basis of fundamentals, but it's a pattern in other major cities throughout the world.

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    Yes, there's no doubt that property has been an appreciating asset. Asset bubbles mainly catch those that are late to the party, i.e. those highly-leveraged kids that were taught that property was always going to be a one-way bet.
    And the banks lending silly money.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    I pay less than half in Mortgage what it would cost to rent my house. Apparently its worth hundreds of thousands more than I have paid overall in mortgage in the last 30 years. Even if it falls in value by half I am still massively ahead and I live in a house that is much bigger & nicer than I could rent.
    Yes, there's no doubt that property has been an appreciating asset. Asset bubbles mainly catch those that are late to the party, i.e. those highly-leveraged kids that were taught that property was always going to be a one-way bet.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    It depends on your definition of crash, but prices fell by 20%+, including in London, but they recovered fairly quickly (even by early 2010). However, in some areas outside of London and the SE, they haven't recovered at all. In London and the SE, valuations are more stretched than they were in 2008, so any correction would be substantially larger IMO. But it needs a major catalyst, a Lehman moment.
    I pay less than half in Mortgage what it would cost to rent my house. Apparently its worth hundreds of thousands more than I have paid overall in mortgage in the last 30 years. Even if it falls in value by half I am still massively ahead and I live in a house that is much bigger & nicer than I could rent.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Massively over-valued in London and the SE, yes (many international analysts have said the same), but there needs to be a catalyst for a crash, either in terms of a broader crash in asset prices, a recession, or a sudden increase in interest rates. Volumes are historically low, which increases risk (prices are determined at the margins), but I can't see the BTL changes precipitating a broader crash. I hope there's a serious correction, and there will be with the next recession, but I can't see an immediate catalyst (as in, this year).
    Indeed. If an commodity like oil can crash from $110 to $30 I'd be concerned holding a similar commodity like property, which it is not normally referred. London property is used by investors not people in search of a home.

You'll here the squeals from Saturn when it crashes. Should be fun.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by jbond007 View Post
    Global recession causes many investors to start looking at alternate places/countries to invest in. Isn't this what happened in 2008 when global recession did not really cause property crash in London because a lot of foreign investors were investing in properties. So even in recession, I doubt prices in London/SE would fluctuate much - maybe 2-3%
    It depends on your definition of crash, but prices fell by 20%+, including in London, but they recovered fairly quickly (even by early 2010). However, in some areas outside of London and the SE, they haven't recovered at all. In London and the SE, valuations are more stretched than they were in 2008, so any correction would be substantially larger IMO. But it needs a major catalyst, a Lehman moment.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X