• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Is that pale ale or caustic soda?"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by meridian View Post
    It does, but most of us aren't numpty an push to drink an entire pint.

I've had pints before where they've obviously just cleaned the pipes but didn't pull through enough ale to get rid of the cleaner, the residue taste was clearly there. One sip was enough to tell me the beer was off.

Edit: not that I'm suggesting the poor sod is a numpty, this was clearly not his fault
    Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
    The article made it sound like he only had a single sip.
    Yeah it seems here they only had a mouthful put it was pure cleanser rather than a pint with a bit of cleanser in.

I didn't realise it was such a toxic substance as that. Makes me nervous!

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    Originally posted by meridian View Post

I've had pints before where they've obviously just cleaned the pipes but didn't pull through enough ale to get rid of the cleaner, the residue taste was clearly there. One sip was enough to tell me the beer was off.

Edit: not that I'm suggesting the poor sod is a numpty, this was clearly not his fault
    The article made it sound like he only had a single sip.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Is that pale ale or caustic soda?

How does this not happen more often?!

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    How does this not happen more often?!

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Maybe a market for a cleaning lock on the pump? So while cleaning its impossible to accidentally pour?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    The difference being that cafes generally don't sell ale at all....

Starbucks level coffee should be no more than £1.20 a cup. 1/5 for value.

I'd rather pay extra for good coffee - better off at McDonald's for a latte than Starbuck's for me as the coffee tastes better at McD's for far less.
    Cafes often sell alcohol though. Many have ale in bottles which is a bit like comparing a pub's coffee machine to a decent coffee shop.

With you on McD, I prefer their Americano to Starbucks or in fact most chains. Possibly it's just very mild and I don't like more intense blends...

Side question, and obvious jokes aside - am I the only once who thinks americano sometimes smells a bit like pee? I've noticed it in different chains on different occasions and wondered if it's just my odd brain. Some cheeses definitely smell of ammonia after all.
    edit: Google suggests I'm NOT the only one

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    He didn't really drink 2 pints. He had one swig of a taster sample.
    Will he be back for more?

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    It depends what you're after. If you are a connoisseur then I guess you're right but I'll settle for fresh filter coffee. ANY freshly made coffee is good in my view (as long as the machine is clean and the coffee itself is fresh); clearly some is better but you don't go to a pub for good coffee any more than you go to a cafe for excellent draft ale.

Starnucks level coffee is just fine - not for £3 but as a 'cup of joe'.
    The difference being that cafes generally don't sell ale at all....

Starbucks level coffee should be no more than £1.20 a cup. 1/5 for value.

I'd rather pay extra for good coffee - better off at McDonald's for a latte than Starbuck's for me as the coffee tastes better at McD's for far less.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    It depends what you're after. If you are a connoisseur then I guess you're right but I'll settle for fresh filter coffee. ANY freshly made coffee is good in my view (as long as the machine is clean and the coffee itself is fresh); clearly some is better but you don't go to a pub for good coffee any more than you go to a cafe for excellent draft ale.

Starnucks level coffee is just fine - not for £3 but as a 'cup of joe'.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Never tried percol, my parents always had Nescafe Gold Blend and I do have a bit of a soft spot for it, but other types are awful.

There's a place for it, about 3am when working through the night with 3 sugars, but I'm very glad fresh coffee is no longer seen as a luxury (despite bitter old men claiming it's hipster). It's becoming quite unusual to find a cafe or pub serving it, even.
    It's even more unusual to find a pub serving good quality coffee. No better than the standard Starbucks and Costa stuff, generally with the milk too hot.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    I have never seen it as a luxury at all, once the war had finished

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Never tried percol, my parents always had Nescafe Gold Blend and I do have a bit of a soft spot for it, but other types are awful.

There's a place for it, about 3am when working through the night with 3 sugars, but I'm very glad fresh coffee is no longer seen as a luxury (despite bitter old men claiming it's hipster). It's becoming quite unusual to find a cafe or pub serving it, even.

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    Originally posted by MicrosoftBob View Post
    Someone put descaler in the kettler at a client site and forgot to tell anyone

Being the first one in I drank a cup of coffee containing it, it only took a sip to know there was something wrong with it
    He didn't really drink 2 pints. He had one swig of a taster sample.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    FTFY

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Mellow Birds is the worst instant I've ever tasted. Bought a jar because I'm a total mug.
    Vile stuff

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by MicrosoftBob View Post
    Nah Percol if it has to be instant
    Mellow Birds is the worst instant I've ever tasted. Bought a jar because it came with a free mug. Had one mug of it, binned the coffee, kept the jar and mug. It is to coffee what Skol is to lager.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X