• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Typical

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Typical"

Collapse

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    In the old CRT days I had about the biggest you could (sensibly) have at the time. Weighed literally 10 stone. Remember selling it on gumtree for £20 - was easier to get someone to help lug in to their car than for me to take it to the dump.
    WHS - I had a Phillips TV, 32" I think, with a tube about four feet deep. Must have added £100 a quarter to the eleccy bills

Probably had loads of useful valves and suchlike that Zeity would drool over; but eventually I found some mug willing to take it off my hands for nothing.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    In the old CRT days I had about the biggest you could (sensibly) have at the time. Weighed literally 10 stone. Remember selling it on gumtree for £20 - was easier to get someone to help lug in to their car than for me to take it to the dump.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post
    Does that matter?
    Errr.... yes it matters!

If TV can't handle features required by broadcast then it won't be able to display! For example right now one of the issues is that for TV Sports 60 fps required and there is even talk of higher refresh rates, which currently not supported by any 4k TV, nevermind old.

At the very least a new 4k TV should support all features necessary for UHD blu rays - players/movies not out yet (proper).

Leave a comment:

• IR35 Avoider
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Erm.. there is still no UHD/4k broadcast standard.
    Does that matter? The TV is just a display. The signal will be coming via an external box, I assume the input to the TV will only differ from HD in terms of resolution and possibly frame rate, but I could be wrong.

BT Sport has just started "transmitting" in UHD. (Signal over the internet, I think, and you need high-speed broadband to get it.)

I admit I know little about UHD, if there is some issue that means current display hardware won't be able to handle future signals, I'm happy to be enlightened. For example, I know it's not just a question of supporting UHD resolution, apparently very high frame-rates for sport are part of the appeal, so early hardware could conceivably fall short there.

Leave a comment:

• IR35 Avoider
    replied
    Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post
    Listen to Wibbly, a decent projector and a 100 inch screen will improve your life. Just imagine the detail you'll be able to see in your hot XXX 3D prawn flicks.
    Surely a projector and 100 inch screen is for permies, a contractor would have a 100 inch flat screen that can be used without darkening the room?

(I've seen an LG 98-inch flat screen in the flesh. It looked reasonably good. )

Found it, much cheaper than I remember...

LG 98LS95A 98 Inch 4K Ultra HD LED Display | Appliances Direct

Edit: Sorry, I see someone has already linked to similar...
    Last edited by IR35 Avoider; 29 December 2015, 16:18.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I'm slowly starting to wonder if we might get a new TV - we have decent 42" HD-ready bought when full HD was still a premium and I figured a decent 720-line TV was better than a bargain 1080 one.

We're also equipping a 2nd sitting room and considering moving the old TV there.

Probably I'm now at the same cross-over point with HD Vs UHD; I don't want to spend a grand and I don't want a crap 4k set so maybe a decent HD set could be had for a bargain now they're not cool anymore... maybe something from a year ago?

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    More than 9,000 homes still have black and white TVs - Telegraph

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
    I shorted majestic and went long google and made tons of money
    You dirty spekulant!!!

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    You ain't gonna sell me a projector. Sorry.
    Luddite!

Leave a comment:

• Andy2
    replied
    I've been spending every penny I've got shorting Google stock since AtW announced Majestic Search.

I shorted majestic and went long google and made tons of money

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    I've been spending every penny I've got shorting Google stock since AtW announced Majestic Search.

Lucky you hedged with BTLs then. You have made about a zillion percent on them?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Was that the results when you asked the majestic search engine for latest technology?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Was that the results when you asked the majestic search engine for latest technology?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    4k with HDR and 265 decoder seems like reasonably safe bet, HOWEVER there is a question of refresh rates - current are rather low, I am leaning towards waiting until they get 4k TV with at least 100 Hertz refresh rate and getting reasonably finalised broadcast standard.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X