• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "LinkedIn etiquette question"

Collapse

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

I just list the original name, and the new name in brackets after it, e.g.

XYZ Ltd (now part of ABC Corp)
    This!

Honestly, are some of you people really contractors or are you just permies with nothing better to do?

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    If it's "yonks" ago I wouldn't care as not many people will bother going that far back

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

I thought in Linked in they did that automatically?
    It has in the 2 applicable instances on my Linkedin profile

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by rl4engc View Post
    If you work in Technical no recruiter looks past your last two references anyway..

ftfy

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    I have a couple of past clients like that.

I just list the original name, and the new name in brackets after it, e.g.

XYZ Ltd (now part of ABC Corp)

Leave a comment:

• rl4engc
    replied
    If you work in Technical no recruiter looks past your last two assignments anyway..

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    did it change while you were there?

If so its the last name standing if it changed from loser ltd to Amazing ltd while you were there then its Amazing.

If not its 1997 - 2001 at Loser ltd I did X there and it later became Amazing ltd.

I thought in Linked in they did that automatically?

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Can't decide? Don't decide. Add both. People will think you're a hard working mother tulip.

Leave a comment:

• RSoles
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    That said if x was pretty unknown and the new name 'y' is a household name and can add some impact I might have to think again.
    Yep, that's the dilemma, that said, cv says 'Co. x, now part of Co. y'.
    Anyway, it was a long time ago, far, far away......

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    How well known is this company in whatever guise? If clients aren't going to know who it was then I just wouldn't bother changing it. That said you worked for them when they were 'x' so you should really put that whatever the situation. You didn't work for them when they were 'y'. Changing the names can only start to create questions if a client digs in to it for financial or security checks. Their results say one thing yet your linked in says another. A red flag that just isn't worth it.

That said if x was pretty unknown and the new name 'y' is a household name and can add some impact I might have to think again.

Leave a comment:

• RSoles
    started a topic LinkedIn etiquette question

LinkedIn etiquette question

Was with a company yonks ago.
    Since then it's changed name a couple of times.
    When adding an old client to your profile would you enter the original name or the new one?

original- accurate, but who's heard of them?
    New - same building/industry/(some of) team, (much) more likely to show up in searches.

Interestingly, I quote the original client name on my cv........

Working...
X