• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The Tories have 'killed buy-to-let for the middle-classes'"

Collapse

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
    Don't hold your breath
    I'm sure with Osborne's fiscal prudence, there will be an end to boom & bust...

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
    Don't hold your breath
    Can I breathe out now, please

Leave a comment:

• barrydidit
    replied
    Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    This county needs a bloody good recession. I'm serious, it's a long time coming. And no fvcking QE bail out the bank crap this time please.

It's coming...

1956, 1961, 1973, 1975, 1980, 1990, 2001, 2008, 2201?
    Don't hold your breath

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    What do you think we are in now?
    Uncharted territory.

Leave a comment:

• Zero Liability
    replied
    The solution is simple.

Add house price inflation to CPI.

Raise rates.

Let the market crash. Nothing like lower prices to make things affordable (you never hear that though!)

End HTB subsidies.

When prices at neutral levels, legislate tighter lending.

Result, a more benign market.
    Short term pain but the endless bailout promises and ZIRP need to go.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    This county needs a bloody good recession.
    What do you think we are in now?
    Really?

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    + recession.

We have been through one of these corrections, before
    This county needs a bloody good recession. I'm serious, it's a long time coming. And no fvcking QE bail out the bank crap this time please.

It's coming...

1956, 1961, 1973, 1975, 1980, 1990, 2001, 2008, 201?

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    + recession.

We have been through one of these corrections, before

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    +1

sooner they grasp the nettle & solve it the better.
    The solution is simple.

Add house price inflation to CPI.

Raise rates.

Let the market crash. Nothing like lower prices to make things affordable (you never hear that though!)

End HTB subsidies.

When prices at neutral levels, legislate tighter lending.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
    On the other hand, seeing all the clueless blaming of landlords and the idiotic expectations of some people, my sympathy wanes.

Future governments are going to have a huge problem on their hands, when they can no longer bribe homeowners and have taxed wealth producers out of all existence, in their hubristic assumption that Britain is so special that these individuals and firms won't eventually just pack up and leave, with a potential market of 6b consumers.
    Correct, how can the people that took advantage of what was on offer be to blame.

Agreed, a huge problem and the longer it goes on, the worse it will end.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
    I always find myself straddling two sides on this argument. On the on hand, it is absolutely bad govt policy from all angles that has led to the housing Ponzi scheme that has priced many younger people out of housing. On the other hand, seeing all the clueless blaming of landlords and the idiotic expectations of some people, my sympathy wanes.

+1

sooner they grasp the nettle & solve it the better.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Either you guys were earning little, or you deliberately bought an expensive house surely. I didn't even think they used to offer mortgages based on combined income back then, more like 3X + 1X or something? Or was that an interim thing in between then and now?

We bought the best house we could afford, we fixed our repayments for 5 years. When it became difficult we scrimped what we could.

We have repeated for each house purchase since. Still won't repay until I'm 65 but our mortgage is pretty small and LTV the same.

2-2.5 joint + deposit

Leave a comment:

• Zero Liability
    replied
    I always find myself straddling two sides on this argument. On the on hand, it is absolutely bad govt policy from all angles that has led to the housing Ponzi scheme that has priced many younger people out of housing. On the other hand, seeing all the clueless blaming of landlords and the idiotic expectations of some people, my sympathy wanes.

Future governments are going to have a huge problem on their hands, when they can no longer bribe homeowners and have taxed wealth producers out of all existence, in their hubristic assumption that Britain is so special that these individuals and firms won't eventually just pack up and leave, with a potential market of 6b consumers.

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    The Tories have 'killed buy-to-let for the middle-classes'

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    5 bedroom detached house for sale in BUCKSHAFT ROAD, CINDERFORD, GL14

5 bedroon detached house, not up north, less than £250K. If you can't afford that, you should have worked harder at school and paid attention.
    No jobs for me there.

What's the average wage there? 20k?

http://www.theguardian.com/money/201...-england-wales

I've been to Milton Keynes. It's a tulip hole [emoji39]

Let's see what £250k gets you somewhere nice?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-52186696.html

Love the condescending selfie stick crap. People fortunate to buy in early 80s and 90s have the gall to say pick up the expensive crumbs and shut the **** up.

**** off.

As to no young voting. That's because THERE IS NO ONE TO VOTE FOR!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    what happens when the value of money falls and £225k is the annual wage?

Our first house 25 years ago was 3.5 times joint wage. We ate beans a lot! The Mortgage at the time was £400->500 in the first few years. We waited until we could afford kids.
    Interest rates are likely to rise, young couples are likely to want kids.

If you're both on average salaries there's no guarantee that you'll ever earn much more than that, and you won't pay off your mortgage until you're ~65.

Either you guys were earning little, or you deliberately bought an expensive house surely. I didn't even think they used to offer mortgages based on combined income back then, more like 3X + 1X or something? Or was that an interim thing in between then and now?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X