• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Buy to let stamp duty surcharge and other related news"

Collapse

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    What party has been in power? I wonder....
    One could argue the problem is so small it foes not need much money, credit to successful Govt action....

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    “ Sunak also announced a £12m multi-year settlement for the affordable homes programme, cut interest rates on local authority lending for social housing by one percentage point.

He said it was the “largest cash investment in affordable housing in a decade”. ”

What party has been in power? I wonder....

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    “ Sunak also announced a £12m multi-year settlement for the affordable homes programme, cut interest rates on local authority lending for social housing by one percentage point.

He said it was the “largest cash investment in affordable housing in a decade”. ”

Leave a comment:

• Martin@AS Financial
    replied
    Budget 2020: Stamp duty hiked for overseas buyers

Budget 2020: Stamp duty hiked for overseas buyers - CityAM : CityAM

Leave a comment:

• Martin@AS Financial
    replied
    Landlord panel regional snapshot report (from the Mortgage Works who are the buy to let lending arm of Nationwide Building Society)

Object moved

Leave a comment:

• Martin@AS Financial
    replied
    Couple of interesting reports from the Mortgage Works on rental income analysis and tenant demand:

(Links will open a pdf)

Object moved

Object moved

Leave a comment:

• Martin@AS Financial
    replied
    Regional Snapshot Report from The Mortgage Works of landlord trends:

https://www.themortgageworks.co.uk/-...3132A36C1620BF

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Isn't one a news article and the other a column with the personal opinions of the writer so not quite the same thing?
    Is there any difference nowadays?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Martin@AS Financial View Post
    Isn't one a news article and the other a column with the personal opinions of the writer so not quite the same thing?

Leave a comment:

• Martin@AS Financial
    replied
    Sadiq Khan makes rent control key plank of mayor re-election bid

From the Guardian:

Sadiq Khan makes rent control key plank of mayor re-election bid | UK news | The Guardian

From the Spectator who is not in favour of rent controls:

Sadiq Khan is wrong about rent control | Coffee House

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

If you remove the effects of immigration our population would be falling. House prices would stagnate or fall.
    Not true. House prices would fall when the government stops printing money and the BoE maintains a level of interest rate that attracts savers. Right now neither exist. If interest rates were 5-7% no one would bother with BTL.
    I can't make it any clearer than that. Do you see a pattern in the graph below? Scotland's population is more or less static yet house prices have almost doubled in the last 10 years (or so mine has) - that's just plan Jane insane,

After every banking crisis immigrants are one of the first groups to be blamed. How depressing. I'm aggravated by those without the foresight to see facts. Even more so as the UK would not exist today as it does without immigration.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    It's not helped, most migrants to the UK come from outside the EU. The statistics have been made available many times over I'm past caring. Demand is being stoked through:

1) collapsing volume of new-builds. My sister bought a new build recently. Supposed to be a 3-bed. I've seen bigger studio apartments. Built right under a river bank as well and one wall is already showing cracks!!

2) people like ourselves buying up or becoming accidental landlords in favour of a pension that does not deliver thereby removing much needed stock from the marketplace. Although that's about to change once interest rates return to normal.

Ah whataboutery again no one mentioned the EU.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Approx 300,000 net arrivals per annum, most seeking rented housing from private landlords, and you think this hasn't stoked the demand?
    It's not helped, most migrants to the UK come from outside the EU. The statistics have been made available many times over I'm past caring. Demand is being stoked through:

1) collapsing volume of new-builds. My sister bought a new build recently. Supposed to be a 3-bed. I've seen bigger studio apartments. Built right under a river bank as well and one wall is already showing cracks!!

2) people like ourselves buying up or becoming accidental landlords in favour of a pension that does not deliver thereby removing much needed stock from the marketplace. Although that's about to change once interest rates return to normal.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    nothing to do with immigrants

When interest rates go up (and they will), and owning a meaningful pension is rewarding, you'll see swathes of working class folks let go of their BTLs. Then you'll have a full on housing crash.

That part no one is paying attention to is the rate this could happen. We've had years to control it. Now it is more likely it'll happen over a very short period of time. Far more damaging.
    Its Spooter "Diane what migrants??? Abbott" !

If you remove the effects of immigration our population would be falling. House prices would stagnate or fall.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    nothing to do with immigrants

Approx 300,000 net arrivals per annum, most seeking rented housing from private landlords, and you think this hasn't stoked the demand?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X