• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What to do when your confidence is shot....."

Collapse

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Maybe you should challenge Brillo in his new Iron Troll run - it involves evading NAT and dodging cojak, whoever gets perm banned first loses...
    After my 18 mile 1000 ft ascent run tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    I'm too hard core for these people, I put tabasco on my pasta.
    Maybe you should challenge Brillo in his new Iron Troll run - it involves evading NAT and dodging cojak, whoever gets perm banned first loses...

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Have you considered joining SAS and RAF at the same time to be able to get cheap spagetti meal?
    I'm too hard core for these people, I put tabasco on my pasta.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I took me 9 months to get up to the 18 miles a day 7 days a week running for the MDS training, for 8 months I failed to consistently finish the distance day after day. By the end I was a 100+ mile runner not through ability but just bloody minded stupidity.
    Have you considered joining SAS and RAF at the same time to be able to get cheap spagetti meal?

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I took me 9 months to get up to the 18 miles a day 7 days a week running for the MDS training, for 8 months I failed to consistently finish the distance day after day. By the end I was a 100+ mile runner not through ability but just bloody minded stupidity.

"Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration." as Edison said.

Hard work pays off.
    Don't be afraid to fail

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I was down for it again in 2016 but I got virial meningitis in October which can only be described as nuclear flu. so they moved my application to 2017. I'll be 44 by then so feck knows how I'll survive it.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    good man. no higher praise in my book than saying. good man
    What if you are woman?

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied

"Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration." as Edison said.

Hard work pays off.
    good man. no higher praise in my book than saying. good man

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I'm making tulip loads as it happens.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Plan B is now a success.

"I don't want see you to waste your time" said the wife.

"you should go back to contracting" said the accountant

I never wanted to make that much money from this venture, I just wanted to prove I'm something more that a contracting slave.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied

Hard work pays off.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Do you not feel that being able to run/cycle/swim for 24 hours just blows away confidence concerns? Or is that a mechanism to cope with confidence?
    Depends whether he can don the Batman outfit and bleed a radiator at the same time, as the 24 hour endurance.

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    I can understand that. It's not for everyone.

I've gone permie 3 times in the last 20 years all from
    Contract and all when id become SME

First time back in 1999 lasted about six months. I contracted there for two years, went permie as a manager and became foul of politic. That time instead I got a 10k payoff and went off and opened my shop

Next in 2005, a year and a half as a contractor. Two more as permie in the U.S. And became a senior manager. I quit when the constant changes of boss and politics became a faff, I didn't like my latest boss. Three months after quitting they got fired. Confidence hit a rock bottom and I went back contracting

Last time is now. Again startup offer, one year as a contractor 3 as permie, now director with 15 staff and four functions. Politics a main in the arse, but I know play the game and I have the confidence to ride out the bumps. Worst judge of my performance is me and I bounce between highs and lows quite regularly. The trick is to stayed balanced and to build confidence by delivering

If you're miserable now then a tulipty PM role won't do it. Do the opposite, take something that scares you, confidence comes from tackling a challenge and beating it, not hiding away
    And you ended up becoming a troll. Nice ...

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    About 3 months ago, just after my mother died, a friend was telling me to pick myself up.

Recently she got made redundant. Her confidence shot to bits. I reminded her of the conversation!

It is tough. Really really tough.

Personally I get a divorce, put on a batman outfit, get banned, see my shrink, bleed the radiators and watch a gladiator film. Try it! Works every time.....
    Do you not feel that being able to run/cycle/swim for 24 hours just blows away confidence concerns? Or is that a mechanism to cope with confidence?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    About 3 months ago, just after my mother died, a friend was telling me to pick myself up.

Recently she got made redundant. Her confidence shot to bits. I reminded her of the conversation!

It is tough. Really really tough.

Personally I get a divorce, put on a batman outfit, get banned, see my shrink, bleed the radiators and watch a gladiator film. Try it! Works every time.....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X