• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Cant pay wont pay on TV - people getting evicted for not paying rent"

Collapse

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    I think landlords should be required to have a license and such license should only be issued for newly build houses that those landlords financed in full - that would be OK.
    You can take the man out of the state but you cannot take the state out of the man

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    I think landlords should be required to have a license and such license should only be issued for newly build houses that those landlords financed in full - that would be OK.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw9oX-kZ_9k

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    If you want the benefits of owning a house then buy one, if you want to rent then expect some downsides. Sorry its as simple as that.

Leave a comment:

• Zero Liability
    replied
    If you want the benefits of owning a house then buy one, if you want to rent then expect some downsides. Sorry its as simple as that.
    It's also senseless to expect landlords to try fill the holes left by years of bad govt housing and credit policy, that have made it so unaffordable as it currently is, as it amounts to attacking a symptom rather than any actual causes.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    They decided to sell the house. It was a big firm actually with thousands of houses.

If you choose to go abroad to work then it's your choice, you should be paid well for that decision to cover any costs of the house that you'll have (like what - council tax, standing charge on electric?). If you letting house to tenants then it should be long term game, unless it's something inherently short term like say student needs place for a term.
    boo hoo so they weren't any nicer than a BTLer?

The landlord bought the house its 'His/Hers' so if they come back from abroad and give the proper legal notice then they are entitled to their house back.

The tenant rented the house it is still the landlord's.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Renting out a house as a landlord is an optional activity, but living in a house/flat isn't.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    [QUOTE=vetran;2163312]
    Originally posted by meridian View Post

Its funny that as an owner you have more protection renting out a car than you do renting a property.

I was very careful with the choice of words.

Its a rental property full stop, you may consider it "Your" home but it isn't any more than a hotel room is your home. Now I'm sympathetic with those that pay market rents and have sensible tenancies but those on subsidised rents and council tenancies get on my nerves.
    Apples and oranges. A roof over your family's head is a necessity and is expected to be a long term proposition, so the emotional attachment is greater than a hotel room or a car (granted, there are some boofheads who would have a greater attachment to their car...).

It might just be a rental property to you "full stop", but to the tenant it's a home. Just saying that it's one thing and showing no empathy for the other side doesn't make it so.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Was the new rent they wanted the market rent? Did they have any problem renting it out? If so why should they subsidise you?
    They decided to sell the house. It was a big firm actually with thousands of houses.

So if I go abroad to work I shouldn't rent the house out or have a reasonable expectation to get it back so my family can live in it? This so as not to upset a tenant.
    If you choose to go abroad to work then it's your choice, you should be paid well for that decision to cover any costs of the house that you'll have (like what - council tax, standing charge on electric?). If you letting house to tenants then it should be long term game, unless it's something inherently short term like say student needs place for a term.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Yes, it happened and I was shortly kicked out from a nice place.

Also asking for new contract is effectively asking for a rent review.

It's a house rented out to other people. Nobody should be getting into such business lightly and should fully appreciate that it's a long term thing and that tenants can't be kicked out just because landlord returned from working abroad.
    Was the new rent they wanted the market rent? Did they have any problem renting it out? If so why should they subsidise you?

So if I go abroad to work I shouldn't rent the house out or have a reasonable expectation to get it back so my family can live in it? This so as not to upset a tenant.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Reasonable point, my understanding is it becomes a periodic tenancy when the landlord lets it lapse, have you had a request to remain on fixed tenancy refused?
    Yes, it happened and I was shortly kicked out from a nice place.

Also asking for new contract is effectively asking for a rent review.

Landlord may have a house to live in or they may have been working abroad and returning or need the property for another purpose. It is their house!
    It's a house rented out to other people. Nobody should be getting into such business lightly and should fully appreciate that it's a long term thing and that tenants can't be kicked out just because landlord returned from working abroad.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Signed contract is a signed contract, more important what happens after it turns into Periodic Tenancy - that's where notice periods are unacceptably short right now, could be as little as 1 month, or even a week if they pay weekly!
    Reasonable point, my understanding is it becomes a periodic tenancy when the landlord lets it lapse, have you had a request to remain on fixed tenancy refused?

Landlord got a house to live in. One can argue for "flexible jobs market" with short notices and fook all employee rights to encourage investment, but there is no such need in the housing market because it only encourages higher demand for same limited house numbers - staying in a warm house is more important than having a job.
    Landlord may have a house to live in or they may have been working abroad and returning or need the property for another purpose. It is their house!

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    are they better than a BTL landlord?
    Actually yes - no rent increases in 5 years

They are trying to sell the flats at crazy price though to return their mortgage money

I reckon they are just incompetent.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    My landlord is a mutual society that thought they were a bank
    are they better than a BTL landlord?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Why does the Tenant need 6 months notice if they signed a 12 month contract?
    Signed contract is a signed contract, more important what happens after it turns into Periodic Tenancy - that's where notice periods are unacceptably short right now, could be as little as 1 month, or even a week if they pay weekly!

Why should notice to the landlord be shorter? Aren't they entitled to the same courtesy? It amuses me everyone believe Landlords should be a branch of social services.
    Landlord got a house to live in. One can argue for "flexible jobs market" with short notices and fook all employee rights to encourage investment, but there is no such need in the housing market because it only encourages higher demand for same limited house numbers - staying in a warm house is more important than having a job.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    [QUOTE=meridian;2163287]
    If you mean tenants don't have a right to stay in properties indefinitely despite fixed term tenancies expiring then tough buy a house. Renting is completely different to owning, its not "YOUR HOME" its a "RENTAL PROPERTY".[\QUOTE]

Not quite. For renters, it's not "YOUR HOUSE", but for many if not most of us it is our home. There's a subtle difference.

Many landlords these days want it both ways, they want to complain about tenants not treating the property as their home but then they want to keep it as an arms-length business transaction. It's a very difficult line to walk when one side can be emotionally involved.
    Its funny that as an owner you have more protection renting out a car than you do renting a property.

I was very careful with the choice of words.

Its a rental property full stop, you may consider it "Your" home but it isn't any more than a hotel room is your home. Now I'm sympathetic with those that pay market rents and have sensible tenancies but those on subsidised rents and council tenancies get on my nerves.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X