• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "This is why I support Jezza Corbyn"

Collapse

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Are their employees well paid? Or are they in need of a "self enriching" scheme under the careful patronage of DA?
    You don't miss a trick Dodgy, I'll give you that

Originally posted by zemoxyl View Post
    I've been hearing a number of times now that the Polish I.T. market is on fire with poaching being practiced to the extent it was in India 10 years ago. Given the people that have come up with this I have no doubt to believe it true.

Maybe the smart young Poles have decided there are better ways to live than being an underpaid slave living 10 to a slum in London. Good for them I say.
    Nail on head.

The situation there is very volatile and there are a lot of big players competing for the talent. The Poles tend to treat Perm a little more like contracting, usually only staying somewhere a year.

There are some very capable people over there, especially on the database side. However, they do struggle when it comes to reporting technologies / tools as they aren't taught much about these at university.

Leave a comment:

• zemoxyl
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    Yep, we have an office in Poland, here at client co.
    I've been hearing a number of times now that the Polish I.T. market is on fire with poaching being practiced to the extent it was in India 10 years ago. Given the people that have come up with this I have no doubt to believe it true.

Maybe the smart young Poles have decided there are better ways to live than being an underpaid slave living 10 to a slum in London. Good for them I say.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    Are their employees well paid? Or are they in need of a "self enriching" scheme under the careful patronage of DA?

Leave a comment:

• MicrosoftBob
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    I've noticed over the years that CUK seems to get more interesting when more people are on the bench.

Coinversely, the more people in contract the more boring and slow CUK becomes.
    So you're saying Suity and Psychocandy are the most interesting posters on CUK

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    companies are using other EU IT bods but they're staying in their own country and working remotely and secondly, many of them now get a good salary for where they live so there is no reason for them to move.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    I believe there are 2 reasons, or at least 2 that I have observed. Firstly companies are using other EU IT bods but they're staying in their own country and working remotely and secondly, many of them now get a good salary for where they live so there is no reason for them to move.
    I did not realise that

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    This is very interesting. I have read that only a small minority of employers (mostly the NHS) bother to try and hire from other EU countries, Surely there must be many thousands of Bulgarians, latvians, Greeks and Romanians that would come to London at the drop of a hat to work in this area. So why the need to go outside the EU?
    I believe there are 2 reasons, or at least 2 that I have observed. Firstly companies are using other EU IT bods but they're staying in their own country and working remotely and secondly, many of them now get a good salary for where they live so there is no reason for them to move.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    Its no good you lot being skilled in COBOL or PASCAL. The industry has moved on where as you are sitting there with your redundant skills and moaning that you are not getting that 600 pd gig anymore.
    Really? Some of those skills are in high demand now which is why some of us get > 600 per day, just because of them One day everyone will move on and the skills that you have that people in the future will decry as redundant, will be in high demand.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    FTFY

Maybe his vibrating butt plug is playing up again.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Danglekt View Post
    I think CUK has caused a drop in contractor productivity.
    I've noticed over the years that CUK seems to get more interesting when more people are on the bench.

Coinversely, the more people in contract the more boring and slow CUK becomes.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by LucidDementia View Post
    Works for HMRC doesn't it?
    Stop baiting the troll, he must be getting hungry, or something, again

Leave a comment:

• LucidDementia
    replied
    Originally posted by pr1 View Post
    yeah stick it to the man on the bottom rung of the ladder

Works for HMRC doesn't it?

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
    "The government is making it easier for the UK's growing technology industry to hire talent from outside the European Union by creating a new "tech nation" visa scheme." "

This new scheme is being driven by Tech City who describe themselves thus:

"Tech City UK was launched in Shoreditch in 2010 by the UK Prime Minister David Cameron to support the East London tech cluster known as Silicon Roundabout. We have since grown our support to Greater London and other cities around the UK. We are a publicly, funded non-profit team with a private sector mentality. Our focus is on creating the optimum conditions for digital technology businesses and entrepreneurs to thrive across the UK. Through our programmes and policy work, we accelerate the growth of digital businesses in London and across cities at all stages of their development."

This is what is wrong with the current Tory/Liberal/Blairite Anglo-Saxon Free Market hegemony. It's all about feeding businesses. If they want cheap workers then let's go and bring in foreigners to take the jobs.

The majority of the people of the UK are workers so why can't business be made to find jobs for us rather than people from other countries who are for whatever reasons more convenient?!

We need to rise up an rebel!
    This is very interesting. I have read that only a small minority of employers (mostly the NHS) bother to try and hire from other EU countries, Surely there must be many thousands of Bulgarians, latvians, Greeks and Romanians that would come to London at the drop of a hat to work in this area. So why the need to go outside the EU?

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Tech City UK has been a bit of a disaster has it not?

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    Originally posted by AnotherGuy View Post
    Yes, I continue to hear about this "shortage" everyday, but then, I've been on the bench for 16 days now. I consider myself skilled enough but I'm not getting calls or emails like used to be in the past, so something fishy is going on...

(maybe it is just I'm not willing to lower my rate down enough)

Its no good you lot being skilled in COBOL or PASCAL. The industry has moved on where as you are sitting there with your redundant skills and moaning that you are not getting that 600 pd gig anymore.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X