• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

This is why I support Jezza Corbyn

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can we move this thread to General? It's very silly and clearly a wind up.

Comment

Originally posted by squarepeg View Post
      Businesses can do nothing if there are laws that allow foreigners in and enforce equal treatment. What businesses need to start doing is asking some very simple questions about the way devs solve problems that are beyond the realm of pure CS. It is one thing to be able to answer questions about the internal workings of a programming language but another being able to apply that knowledge to solve real life problems. For that you need some local context.

I still remember with disgust the day when I had to fight over an 'if' clause with a Southern European dev fresh out of uni who wanted the codebase to be 'clean' and did not understand the difference between terminologies used in Europe and the US that necessitated adding that said clause. The idiot kept removing the code I was adding to the repo and we had to call for the manager to resolve that stupid dispute. I am tired of devs who can do backflips programming but cannot write a working payment gateway integration module. When a foreign dev can describe how he can go about writing such code taking into account the specifics of the UK market, I have no problem with a UK business hiring him or her as such person will be a useful asset. But if they can barely speak English, cannot understand what 'a couple of quid' is and will argue agains using PayPal instead of implementing the code that they were told to do I see them as a waste of money no matter how many Ph.D.s they hold.
      Would this perhaps explain why TalkTalk got hacked? Or a number of UK financial companies continue to have outages? Is it the fault of the UK techies or the outsourced techies? In the end, who's right? I must say, though, I don't see too many reports of this happening in foreign lands
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Immigration clampdown will hurt UK technology start-ups, warn top entrepreneurs - Telegraph
        Get World Newspapers for free -
        http://goo.gl/Lln26X

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I think that yes it most definitely did with TalkTalk. I'll bet any amount of money they were told what they needed to do to improve security, but as there was money associated with it and no real benefit, except for angry customers. They ignored it, after all they were hacked twice and nobody said much. As for angry customers TalkTalk couldn't give a stuff, as anyone who has dealt with them will tell you.

The difference now is that they are going to get a nice fine off the Government, but I predict this will make no real difference as will still be cheaper to take the fines and carry on.. They will fix it when they get shutdown or taken over, due any time now.

As for the foreign lands without any data protection laws they just shove it in a drawer and deny it ever happened.
          I look forward to telling those TT sales wide boys who frequent shopping centres (didn't make the grade as recruitment agents obviously) what I think of their 'cheaper' offerings.

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
            I look forward to telling those TT sales wide boys who frequent shopping centres (didn't make the grade as recruitment agents obviously) what I think of their 'cheaper' offerings.
            yeah stick it to the man on the bottom rung of the ladder

Comment

Originally posted by Project Monkey View Post
              Can we move this thread to General? It's very silly and clearly a wind up.
              Good idea.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by AnotherGuy View Post
                Yes, I continue to hear about this "shortage" everyday, but then, I've been on the bench for 16 days now. I consider myself skilled enough but I'm not getting calls or emails like used to be in the past, so something fishy is going on...

(maybe it is just I'm not willing to lower my rate down enough)

Its no good you lot being skilled in COBOL or PASCAL. The industry has moved on where as you are sitting there with your redundant skills and moaning that you are not getting that 600 pd gig anymore.
                Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Tech City UK has been a bit of a disaster has it not?

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
                    "The government is making it easier for the UK's growing technology industry to hire talent from outside the European Union by creating a new "tech nation" visa scheme." "

This new scheme is being driven by Tech City who describe themselves thus:

"Tech City UK was launched in Shoreditch in 2010 by the UK Prime Minister David Cameron to support the East London tech cluster known as Silicon Roundabout. We have since grown our support to Greater London and other cities around the UK. We are a publicly, funded non-profit team with a private sector mentality. Our focus is on creating the optimum conditions for digital technology businesses and entrepreneurs to thrive across the UK. Through our programmes and policy work, we accelerate the growth of digital businesses in London and across cities at all stages of their development."

This is what is wrong with the current Tory/Liberal/Blairite Anglo-Saxon Free Market hegemony. It's all about feeding businesses. If they want cheap workers then let's go and bring in foreigners to take the jobs.

The majority of the people of the UK are workers so why can't business be made to find jobs for us rather than people from other countries who are for whatever reasons more convenient?!

We need to rise up an rebel!
                    This is very interesting. I have read that only a small minority of employers (mostly the NHS) bother to try and hire from other EU countries, Surely there must be many thousands of Bulgarians, latvians, Greeks and Romanians that would come to London at the drop of a hat to work in this area. So why the need to go outside the EU?
                    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
                      yeah stick it to the man on the bottom rung of the ladder

Works for HMRC doesn't it?
                      I'm a smug bastard.

Comment

Working...
                      X