• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Britain Set For Worst Winter in Half a Century"

Collapse

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
    This is unsurprising as, while the author of this un reviewed piece has gone through the academic rigour required to earn himself a PhD, his doctorate is in Electrical Engineering, so it's unclear why he should be granted any unusual credence on the topic of CO2 fertilisation.
    Without reading his Doctoral paper it's unwise to jump to conclusions his research may have been entirely climate related.
    My eldest is doing his PhD as part of the School of Mechanical Engineering and he's got his MEng well under way. The thing is he's a Biomedical Scientist, has no Mech Eng skills at all, but when awarded, his PhD will be Mech Eng as well, they're researching biomed technology.
    Does that mean he's a biologist or a mechanical engineer? Ask him and he'll tell you he's a biologist, but his work has engineering applications which he worked on prior to going back to Uni.
    It's far too easy to play at the discredit the man game in this whole web of lies, allegation, political posturing and money which is "climate change".

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Dunno, but it's cold outside, no kind of atmosphere.

And almost at the brass mauve monkey testicular problem stage.

Brrrr.

Time to dig out the electrick blanket.

I wouldn't rely on the lekkie if I was you.

throw another greenie onto the fire

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by MicrosoftBob View Post
    Freeze to death or get eaten by scrotes in the UK t's not much of a choice
    A swans gotta do what a swans gotta do.

I wonder how accurate the 'swan - o meter' is, as a forecaster for winters

Leave a comment:

• pjclarke
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Took your time to exert control over this story.
    Can't be bothered to look it up, however not long ago I stated that for my generation, for rich countries in temperate zones, GW is likely to be net positive in our lifetimes. If this is the limit of your concern, then sleep tight ....

This is an open forum, by characterising the posting of a pertinent link as 'exerting control' you expose yourself as paranoid, insecure and uncertain of the strength of your argument.

This is unsurprising as, while the author of this un reviewed piece has gone through the academic rigour required to earn himself a PhD, his doctorate is in Electrical Engineering, so it's unclear why he should be granted any unusual credence on the topic of CO2 fertilisation.

Before this is denounced as mere ad hominem ( which works both ways btw) let me point out that this line of argument is not exactly new, nor exactly unaddressed:

http://www.skepticalscience.com/co2-plant-food.htm

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    I hope you're not calling HMQ a scrote, Betty is the only one that's allowed to order kentucky fried swan you know!
    Since the mid 1400s the Vintners Company have also been entitled to nab a few.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by MicrosoftBob View Post
    I hope you're not calling HMQ a scrote, Betty is the only one that's allowed to order kentucky fried swan you know!

Leave a comment:

• barrydidit
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    If the Siberian swans get it wrong - the repercussions are much more severe.
    Has anyone got one we can ask?

Leave a comment:

• MicrosoftBob
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    The thing about this medium term prediction malarkey, is that if the met office gets it wrong, there are few penalties. They get a bit of micky taking, but their jobs and pensions are not affected, heck, they even get their bonus and an even bigger super-computer.

Leave a comment:

• Dactylion
    replied
    Is this you MF?

No that's some, almost universally reviled, fat ugly b4astard....... Oh....

Leave a comment:

• Flashman
    replied
    Originally posted by saptastic View Post

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Took your time to exert control over this story.

here is another one. Funny how all stories from the climate change taliban are negative

[I]The report, Carbon Dioxide: The Good News, which has not been peer reviewed, proposes that the impact of rising carbon dioxide concentrations “is currently net beneficial for both humanity and the biosphere generally”.
    Not peer reviewed, eh?

The climate change mob really rattle on about the importance of peer reviews, don't they?

I read a bunch of academic papers last year as part of a course I was doing, and my conclusion was that peer review ain't what it's cracked up to be. Even basic errors in worked examples hadn't been picked up.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Daily Express is not renowned for it's long range forecasts. The only saving grace is that it is more accurate than the Met Office, but then again so was my Grand Ma.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I was going to lag some pipes in the basement but after reading that in the express I think I can put it off till next winter.

Leave a comment:

• GlenW
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Oh do you have one as well? I'm test driving one tomorrow. Then a Jag f type. Undecided yet whether to buy one or two cars yet.
    Dinky cars, just too many choices eh?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X