• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Britain Set For Worst Winter in Half a Century

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Took your time to exert control over this story.

here is another one. Funny how all stories from the climate change taliban are negative

The earth is greener and farms are more productive because of the carbon dioxide emissions linked to global warming, an author of the original UN climate treaty has claimed.
    The planet can support more people because CO2 has boosted crop yields, the scientist Indur Goklany has claimed in a controversial paper published by the Global Warming Policy Foundation, which is sceptical of climate change.
    The report, Carbon Dioxide: The Good News, which has not been peer reviewed, proposes that the impact of rising carbon dioxide concentrations “is currently net beneficial for both humanity and the biosphere generally”.
    It says that the benefits are “real, whereas the costs of warming are uncertain”.
    Professor Myles Allen, head of the climate dynamics group at the University of Oxford, said there would be some benefits in some regions in the early stages of global warming. “But I worry about the Stalinist overtones of adding up the losses and benefits and deciding humanity as a whole will benefit from global warming,” he told The Sunday Times. “Drowning Bangladeshis might not be reassured by higher crop yields in Ukraine.”
    Mr Goklany says in his paper: “Halting the increase in carbon dioxide concentrations abruptly would deprive people and the planet of the benefits of carbon dioxide much sooner than they would reduce any costs of warming.
    “Models used to influence policy on climate change have overestimated the rate of warming, underestimated direct benefits of carbon dioxide, overestimated the harms from climate change and underestimated human capacity to adapt so as to capture the benefits while reducing the harms.”
    The report says that “climate sensitive indicators of human and environmental well-being that carbon dioxide affects directly, such as crop yields, food production, prevalence of hunger, access to cleaner water and biological productivity, and those that it affects indirectly, such as living standards and life expectancies, have improved virtually everywhere.
    “In most areas they have never been higher, nor do they show any sustained signs of reversing.”

Cue the ad hominen rubbishing from the Taliban
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

[QUOTE=DodgyAgent;2154465]Took your time to exert control over this story.

The report says that “climate sensitive indicators of human and environmental well-being that carbon dioxide affects directly, such as crop yields, food production, prevalence of hunger, access to cleaner water and biological productivity, and those that it affects indirectly, such as living standards and life expectancies, have improved virtually everywhere. ...
      An increase in "biological productivity" benefits pests and blights too, and after mild winters there will be more of them around to eat or rot the extra crops produced.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

[QUOTE=OwlHoot;2154485]
        Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
        Took your time to exert control over this story.

An increase in "biological productivity" benefits pests and blights too, and after mild winters there will be more of them around to eat or rot the extra crops produced.

I've got shares in DDT so it is all good news.
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post

I've got shares in DDT so it is all good news.
          Not really, as DDT has been completely banned in most countries now.

Shares in a permethrin manufacturing plant would be good though.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            Not really, as DDT has been completely banned in most countries now.

Shares in a permethrin manufacturing plant would be good though.
            That bloody salesman

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
              While I race past you low life hoi polloi in my Range Rover sport
              Oh do you have one as well? I'm test driving one tomorrow. Then a Jag f type. Undecided yet whether to buy one or two cars yet.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                The Daily Express does a Winter Doom headline every year. I think it's a disgrace because it probably frightens old people to think that this might be the year they freeze to death because they can't afford to heat their homes
                Here is last year's story:

Winter 2014 to be COLDEST of century: UK faces arctic weather freeze in November | Nature | News | Daily Express

Regurgitated tulip.

Comment

I'm dreading a cold winter because I'm nearly 1000 feet up on Exmoor, and even a four wheel drive with snow tyres is little use in two feet of snow

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    Oh do you have one as well? I'm test driving one tomorrow. Then a Jag f type. Undecided yet whether to buy one or two cars yet.
                    Is this you MF?

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                      Dinky cars, just too many choices eh?
                      I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

Working...
                      X