• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Britain Set For Worst Winter in Half a Century

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zeitghost
    52 years since the long hard winter of 1963 that we boomers had so much fun in.
    The parents wouldn't let me visit the 6 foot hight snowdrifts at the top of the local hill.

"Too dangerous" apparently. They were obviously quite ignorant of some of the other stuff I got up to back then...

The preboomer winter of 1947 was even worse, apparently.
    When I lived on the edge of the moors, one of the local pubs had some pretty impressive photos of that.

But up there we got those conditions almost every year. The difference with 1947 was the duration.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

A train got stuck on the Brecon & Merthyr line near the top and they tried jet engines on a railway truck as a way of melting the snow.

It didn't work.
      A rather cool memorable attempt though.

They should have kept it on for men with shovels to warm up during their breaks.

Comment

Well Baby Boomers did cause global warming...
        Remember the smogs in London, you would need to see it to believe it. Think I must have been about 5 or 6 at the time, remember my parents opening the front door and the tendrils of a thick brown mist coming in.

PS You could probably go to China if you want to see what it was like.
        Last edited by xoggoth; 11 October 2015, 18:58.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

The sea froze in Swansea bay in 1963.

A train got stuck on the Brecon & Merthyr line near the top and they tried jet engines on a railway truck as a way of melting the snow.

It didn't work.

Old snaps show community pulling together in big winter freeze of 1947 - Wales Online
          But where did the trucks land?
          World's Best Martini

Comment

http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

The Daily Express does a Winter Doom headline every year. I think it's a disgrace because it probably frightens old people to think that this might be the year they freeze to death because they can't afford to heat their homes

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                The Daily Express does a Winter Doom headline every year. I think it's a disgrace because it probably frightens old people to think that this might be the year they freeze to death because they can't afford to heat their homes
                It makes lots of old people to pay excessive fees to gas/electric companies to "fix" their bills at high levels whilst said companies already bought forward supply contracts on the derivatives market...

Comment

Go long on sledges
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    Go long on sledges
                    While I race past you low life hoi polloi in my Range Rover sport

Comment

Daily Express weather warning: beware a shower of extreme inaccuracy | Environment | The Guardian
                      My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Working...
                      X