• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Decisions, decisions...."

Collapse

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    Whichever way you go I applaud you for being invited to compete, I like to cook and I can make some decent food, but having watched some of the Masterchef type programmes I'm totally amateur in comparison, it's not just enthusiasm, it needs talent

If you can defer competing to a later series that would appear to fit with your plans and circumstances as you've described, from the sounds of it you've decided to defer or decline and that sounds wise.

Still dead impressed you can cook to the level to be considered let alone be invited
    Well I did train as a chef a while back, so am not too bad in the cooking department.

If you knew what level of cooking is like over here in cloggers, it's pretty dire so even the most average cook in blighty would have a fighting chance over here.

Originally posted by Alias View Post
    Not possible to carry on the gig in a "WFH" type fashion alongside the Masterchef opportunity?
    Unfortunately not, the filming is full time for 3 months, which I thought was odd. Thought it would be summat like bake off which is most weekends or summat I could go part time with clientco.

e-mail has been sent, will see if they let me defer.

Leave a comment:

• Alias
    replied
    Not possible to carry on the gig in a "WFH" type fashion alongside the Masterchef opportunity?

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Whichever way you go I applaud you for being invited to compete, I like to cook and I can make some decent food, but having watched some of the Masterchef type programmes I'm totally amateur in comparison, it's not just enthusiasm, it needs talent

If you can defer competing to a later series that would appear to fit with your plans and circumstances as you've described, from the sounds of it you've decided to defer or decline and that sounds wise.

Still dead impressed you can cook to the level to be considered let alone be invited

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by administrator View Post
    Well done on getting the offer! Tough choice. If you turned down the Fat Duck and don't regret it then I think you'll be OK with whatever you go with. If your plan in the long term is to work in the food industry then this would be a good start and could open doors for you. Depends if you want to be a foody full time or a contract bod for the rest of your life. If you want a career in the work you love then jump sooner than later IMO!
    Plan is to get the warchest in a good way and then start doing contract part-time and concentrate more on foodie stuff. Once Mr N is back in a job then the pressure is off me. There's a lot of things I'm doing now that wouldn't be possible if I wasn't a contractor.

Having worked in restaurants and run my own catering business, you did a lot of hours for very little money, while it was enjoyable, you just didn't have time with the people you love.

I have plans, but want to build up the finances so that the plan B becomes a reality.

As I mentioned I already know a couple of people who were masterchef finalists here and it hasn't really been an huge life change for them. I've actually competed against some of them in competitions.

Leave a comment:

• administrator
    replied
    Well done on getting the offer! Tough choice. If you turned down the Fat Duck and don't regret it then I think you'll be OK with whatever you go with. If your plan in the long term is to work in the food industry then this would be a good start and could open doors for you. Depends if you want to be a foody full time or a contract bod for the rest of your life. If you want a career in the work you love then jump sooner than later IMO!

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    If doing it won't actually leave you bankrupt, go for it. After all, it's what you really want to do
    It's a bit more complicated than just the warchest issue (there's also losing expat tax rulings etc.. which would hit the pocket pretty hard). I would have just enough to cover myself in myco for the competition but then benchtime would be at the worst possible time in the Cloggers market.

It took me nearly 11 months to find summat this time round and the market is pretty dire over here, especially if you're not cloggy, you get passed over for gigs.

Am probably going to see if I can defer till next year, if not I'll just apply again.

I actually know one of the former judges as he's already judged me previously in competitions and will be judging me again in the upcoming competition, so may ask him to put in a good word for me.

I have no idea what the format of the competition is as I've never actually watched the programme over here and only watch the professional one on the beeb.
    Last edited by norrahe; 10 October 2015, 12:15.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    If doing it won't actually leave you bankrupt, go for it. After all, it's what you really want to do

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    J.F.D.I. - Life is not a dress rehearsal!

Leave a comment:

• tomtomagain
    replied
    In life you tend to regret the things you don't do rather than what you do do.

I say go for it.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    My feeling is that it's an opportunity that you could regret missing, my first inclination is investigate any options that may allow you to take it. Assuming you actually want to do it of course

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Take it.

I'm going to hedge my bets by not specifying what "it" is though

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Better than NLYUK that can't be possible. The 'Lady' who has transported more sailors than the Ark Royal?
    Ok, I'll discuss/contend that elsewhere.

Let us not hijack norrahe's thread discussing hookers

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
    You get better company here up North for that munay .... !
    Better than NLYUK that can't be possible. The 'Lady' who has transported more sailors than the Ark Royal?

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    £50 and a bottle of Ginger wine Seemples.
    You get better company here up North for that munay .... !

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
    How can one be alone being with NLYUK?
    £50 and a bottle of Ginger wine Seemples.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X