• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: If the cap fits...

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "If the cap fits..."

Collapse

• xoggoth
    replied
    . A few do and they have my admiration (Gates/Buffet/Paphitas)
    And that lefty actress, forgotten her name. But they do seem to be rather few and far between.

PS Had three halves of 1664. Feel much more lefty when I've had a few drinks. Beggars get in now before it wears off.
    PPS New study shows impairment of cognisance as a result of alcohol causes leftiness.
    PPPS Nope, too late, worn off. Vlad the Impaler is back. My hero.

Hall on Fire
    One good day when Vlad was a prince, he noticed how many beggars, cripples and people with mental disabilities lived upon his land. He then offered all of them a feast in the great hall of Tirgoviste. Many old people attended too. As the story goes, when the feast was at its climax, Vlad made an appearance. He asked whether they wanted to live comfortably for the rest of their lives without having to work anymore - as they clearly couldn't. When all of them cheered, Vlad smiled and left the room. He ordered it burnt. Nobody survived.
    http://www.medievality.com/vlad-the-impaler.html
    Last edited by xoggoth; 3 October 2015, 22:15.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Despise? I only dislike and enjoy berating the hypocrites.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    But what about all those rich Labour voters, the ones that certain people here despise? Their income rises yet they don't vote Tory...So what that study is showing is that as people get richer, they get more selfish therefore the tendency to vote Tory

But it says people on the right are not so clever, aren't Tories on the right? Actually it just proves much of what you said earlier, labels are pretty much bollocks
    Despise? I only dislike and enjoy berating the hypocrites.

If they truly believed the left's agenda then they would redistribute their own wealth. A few do and they have my admiration (Gates/Buffet/Paphitas) but the false lefties who bemoan the ways thing are but live in a tax haven are tossers, yes I'm talking about you Nobo, stop clicking your fingers.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    But what about all those rich Labour voters, the ones that certain people here despise? Their income rises yet they don't vote Tory...So what that study is showing is that as people get richer, they get more selfish therefore the tendency to vote Tory

But it says people on the right are not so clever, aren't Tories on the right? Actually it just proves much of what you said earlier, labels are pretty much bollocks
    Silly conclusion

Time and time again it's been pointed out the current government loses the election, and the party that wins is always more centrally placed.

In the UK if you put in right wing or left wing policies then you alienate voters.

The Tory left have a lot in common with the Labour right, and in certain situations they have and will work together.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    We need to avoid simplistic conclusions about some things even if they are correct. Apparently children have less connection with those of different colour, which suggests that racism is instinctive. More cognitive people will realise as they grow that a judgement of good/bad is not so simple, while less cognitive people may not, so I tend to believe that study you quote is correct within its limitations.

However, very cognitive people may also conclude, on the basis of facts, that there are differences in the values of migrants to the UK. There is a very big difference in believing that all blacks are inferior as some on the far right do and believing that we need stricter immigration controls on those from low performing Sub Saharan nations given reliable statistics from government sources.

One could argue that those who are driven by idealist principles that ignore realities are also greatly lacking in cognisance. That study is yet to be done, I am working on it now.

PS Ah the bloody rugby should have finished! Time to head to village club!
    Last edited by xoggoth; 3 October 2015, 20:34.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    There's a chart here that shows voting intentions vs income. As income rises, people are more likely to vote Tory and the less likely to vote Labour.

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/generalelecti...an-for-labour/

Curious that the stupidest people should be the highest earners isn't it? I don't say that study you quote is wrong, what is wrong is your idiotic lumping of those to the right of centre, successful Tory voters, with the extreme right.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    There's a chart here that shows voting intentions vs income. As income rises, people are more likely to vote Tory and the less likely to vote Labour.

Curious that the stupidest people should be the highest earners isn't it? I don't say that study you quote is wrong, what is wrong is your idiotic lumping of those to the right of centre, successful Tory voters, with the extreme right.

its obvious the bottom 4 quintiles want to vote labour probably because they like wealth redistribution, but can't be bothered. The top 20% vote conservative because they can be bothered so we have a conservative government for the foreseeable future.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    They probably couldn't understand the questions

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    They probably couldn't understand the questions Bright Minds and Dark Attitudes

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    The lefties are just conceding our obvious superiority.

We righties know we are better, so do the lefties.
    Which is why they are envious useless ans manipulative

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
    Support it? or support not banning it?

I don't like it, but there are ways of discouraging behaviours that don't involve threatening people a cage.
    Support not banning it

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    The lefties are just conceding our obvious superiority.

We righties know we are better, so do the lefties.

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    I don't believe in anything that is forced on others by petty jealousy and bigotry which is why I support fox hunting
    Support it? or support not banning it?

I don't like it, but there are ways of discouraging behaviours that don't involve threatening people a cage.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    I don't believe in anything that is forced on others by petty jealousy and bigotry which is why I support fox hunting

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Quite. Definitions are such simplifications. Probably the only official distinction is economic, i.e. do you believe in merit or equality? The rest of it is all very blurred. Stalin was rather keen on promoting national culture and was not too keen on Jews either, supposedly right wing traits.

PS No, I don't believe in forcing views on people generally. Religion is crap but, provided beliefs don't greatly impact others - gays can get married elsewhere, people should be able to hold and express them. Rights should be about balance, not one person's trumping another's.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 2 October 2015, 21:20.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X