• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "A little bit of brie"

Collapse

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    A nice turn of phrase--

I was chatting to a white guy up in winterton, near the battlefields. I told him I had wandered into the rough bar at the end of town.
    He was aghast,
    the Zulus man, you were lucky to get out with more then your underpants. Them blokes will rob everything you got, and a lot of things you didn't know you got

Which I thought was a nice turn of phrase

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    They took to me as soon as I told them I have a laager mentality.

Just came in from the verandah , watching a dozen whales go by in line astern. This is St Helena bay in the Western Cape, we got the best place in town for 90£ a night.

Flock after flock of cormorants? Go sweeping across the bay, uncountable thousands, then turn and come back again, skimming the wave tops

Beer is a pound a pint and ver ver strong. Mrs eo is on the cherry chock wine and strawberry gateaux, tonight I will have cheese and pickles on kips.
    Which are like ritz biscuits, but flavoured with bacon

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by Scruff View Post
    I never knew that were so many Saffas on CUK. Julle is almal 'n klomp naaiers!
    En jij ook!

Ik spreek echte nederlands niet keuken nederlands

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    I never knew that were so many Saffas on CUK. Julle is almal 'n klomp naaiers!

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Try saying "jou ma se Poes" to the first person you see in the morning. It's a friendly greeting, particularly in Cape Town.
    Yes, they'll be flattered you're trying to learn Afrikaans. It's their equivalent of "your Aunt's pen".

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    Or you could just ask "is Afrikaans just Dutch with a funny accent?", see how far that gets ya
    Or call it "Kitchen Dutch", I was told by a lad from the Transvaal that it annoyed some folks

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Or you could just ask "is Afrikaans just Dutch with a funny accent?", see how far that gets ya

Leave a comment:

• SurfQueen
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    voetsek jou bliksem
    Is dit hoe jy met a dame praat? Skaam vir jou!

ROTFL

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by SurfQueen View Post
    @Scruff

LOL - you probably need to re-write that "greeting" phonetically, otherwise it just won't have the same effect!

voetsek jou bliksem

Leave a comment:

• SurfQueen
    replied
    @Scruff

LOL - you probably need to re-write that "greeting" phonetically, otherwise it just won't have the same effect!

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    Not cheese you fool. A fire.
    I'm in South Africa, and they don't have BBQ, they have a Brie.
    All very good so far. But I've had a load of ale and I'll probably burn the place down.

I know they don't have smoke detectors, not after what I did to the toast this am.

Anyways , the pound is flying high, so it's a quid for a pint of strong ale, petrol is almost free and I'm thinking of buying Cape Town, if only I can find the change in my coat pocket.
    Eat fish, its normally wonderful over there. Springbok Carpaccio is also awesome.

Go to Sun city and see the slot machine gambling floor, will put you off gambling for life.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    This is you Scruff, especially as the actor Harry Peacock I think is from Leeds, in my ope, does a decent Saffa accent, you dick-licking sack of Bokke tulip!

I'm sure that is funny if you're "down wiv da kids" in some way, but I found it less amusing than ironing my shirts for work and less stimulating than boiling the kettle. It's total shash, deeply dull and impressively bollocks.

Glad you're enjoying SA EO, was hoping to go this summer, but plans didn't work out.
    Last edited by TykeMerc; 2 October 2015, 00:05.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Try saying "jou ma se Poes" to the first person you see in the morning. It's a friendly greeting, particularly in Cape Town.
    This is you Scruff, especially as the actor Harry Peacock I think is from Leeds, in my ope, does a decent Saffa accent, you dick-licking sack of Bokke tulip!

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    Not cheese you fool. A fire.
    I'm in South Africa, and they don't have BBQ, they have a Brie.
    All very good so far. But I've had a load of ale and I'll probably burn the place down.

I know they don't have smoke detectors, not after what I did to the toast this am.

Anyways , the pound is flying high, so it's a quid for a pint of strong ale, petrol is almost free and I'm thinking of buying Cape Town, if only I can find the change in my coat pocket.
    Have you been hanging around with MF these days?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X