• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Guilty until proved innocent"

Collapse

• raphal
    replied
    Originally posted by raphal View Post
    If someone is caught by IR35, will there be any action on the client and the agency the contractor was engaged with ?
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    No Next!
    I thought client avoiding NI & PAYE by taking contractor, should get the attention of hmrc as much the contractor who was caught by IR35.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Using scare tactics a lot of people just pay up. Now they have APN and can take money direct from your account. A lot of people will just fold under the pressure.
    How would that happen if vast majority of people had their money spent already?

What will have to happen is bi-partisan bill quickly passed called The Involuntary Organ Donations Act 2015.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by rl4engc View Post
    I can't see HMRC coming after people possibly caught by IR35 in the same blanket manner; it's not just IT contractors and the like that work in this way but plenty of managers and company directors AKA traditional Tories.

It kicked off a few years ago as it was "revealed" in the press that lots of public sector managers were working in this way, e.g. in the BBC etc. which ruffled feathers as obviously they're taxpayer funded. Not so the private sector.

I think this is just a shot above the bows for people considering these agressive schemes.. "We'll come after you at any point in the future.."
    Total bollux.

Using scare tactics a lot of people just pay up. Now they have APN and can take money direct from your account. A lot of people will just fold under the pressure.

HMRC are getting more aggressive and they need to be stopped.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by raphal View Post
    If someone is caught by IR35, will there be any action on the client and the agency the contractor was engaged with ?
    No Next!

Leave a comment:

• raphal
    replied
    I can't see HMRC coming after people possibly caught by IR35 in the same blanket manner; it's not just IT contractors and the like that work in this way but plenty of managers and company directors AKA traditional Tories.

It kicked off a few years ago as it was "revealed" in the press that lots of public sector managers were working in this way, e.g. in the BBC etc. which ruffled feathers as obviously they're taxpayer funded. Not so the private sector.

I think this is just a shot above the bows for people considering these agressive schemes.. "We'll come after you at any point in the future.."

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    I agree this may have had something to do with it.
    HMRC's Razor

Never attribute to nicety that which is adequately explained by improved chance of payment.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    did your brother have any assets?

If he had none being nice was the only way they could get him to pay.
    I agree this may have had something to do with it.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    And what is wrong with lawfully avoiding?
    Nothing if your plan is to have your life totally wrecked by the tax office.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    BN66 et al should've probably hammered home the point "don't f*** with HMRC" by now but I agree.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    More greed cells in the head than brain cells.

"In the words of Kenneth Parker J, the Scheme would “appear to realise every taxpayer’s dream of lawfully avoiding, or at least greatly reducing, income tax in any
    jurisdiction”. In the case of Mr Huitson the effective rate of tax he would suffer on his income would be approximately 3.5%"
    And what is wrong with lawfully avoiding?

Its irrelevant anyway - the question is should HMRC be allowed to assume guilt?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    did your brother have any assets?

If he had none being nice was the only way they could get him to pay.

Leave a comment:

• rl4engc
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Point being - from what I've seen they aint gonna come steaming in demand £200K and declare you bankrupt.
    Point now actually being, different times, different government, different deficit.
    I'm sure everyone feels really reassured reading your brothers story and associated comments.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Must admit I didn't know that about APNs. i.e. You had to pay up then sort it out later or face penalties....

But, in reality surely this isnt going to happen surely?

Like I said, going back to the story of my brother. Self-employed. Didn't bother paying tax for 5 years. Chucked letters in the bin, demands etc. Just bunged it all and ignored them. Eventually, and it took them years, they got serious though and threatened jail etc. because he was bang to rights.

So he decided to sort it out. Can't remember the exact figures but he owed something like 50K with a part of this being fines etc obviously.

In the end, after he got an accountant on board to do the bargaining etc, they waived ALL the fines, and even some of the outstanding tax. He paid I think a few K up front, then the rest over about 2-3 years every month. Ended up paying less than he would have originally. (but he still moaned).

Point being - from what I've seen they aint gonna come steaming in demand £200K and declare you bankrupt. I could be wrong of course but this is just what I've seen.

Leave a comment:

• Zero Liability
    replied
    And I thought avoidance was legal?

Anyway, my concern is that APN powers will be extended to anyone HMRC believes is IR35 caught. And will take the money allegedly owed directly out of bank accounts.

I really hope that IPSE and writing to MPs and petitions will make a difference.
    They could be, but I presume it would require substantial legislative change, because my understanding is that they can only do this where they believe the scheme in question is materially similar to one already defeated in court. I struggle to see how they could do that with IR35, where their win:loss ratio when challenged is abysmal, and where each case is fairly unique. Perhaps if they reformed it to boil it down to SDC, but even then that is a pretty complex area of law.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X