• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Getting an Extension"

Collapse

• Halo Jones
    replied
    Originally posted by unixman View Post
    Remember, when your contractor turns up on site, don't forget to treat him entirely like an employee: give him a "job description", hold a performance review, ask him to sign up to your company values. And halfway through the build, ask him to architect some new houses for you. All as part of the original price, obviously.
    The correct terms are Employers Requirements, Progress Meeting, Specifications & Change Orders

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by Gumbo Robot View Post
    I'd be getting 4.3 x 3.5 m 2 storey extension (stone walls with pitched roof), 2 x 3 m single storey garden room, whole roof re-tile (existing one leaks), internal alterations Inc en suite bathroom to adjoin new bedroom, downstairs bog & some new windows to address aforementioned light issues.

Just been quoted £84,350 net.
    Is the net for landing the prize catch?

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    WOW!

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I'd be getting 4.3 x 3.5 m 2 storey extension (stone walls with pitched roof), 2 x 3 m single storey garden room, whole roof re-tile (existing one leaks), internal alterations Inc en suite bathroom to adjoin new bedroom, downstairs bog & some new windows to address aforementioned light issues.

84 grand for a prison cell that any human rights lawyer would argue infringes on mass murders' rights on being confined there?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    No way I would entertain such a thing unless I'd worked at least 10 years in the construction industry. An the people you are dealing with tend to look like Eastern European mass murderers so good luck telling them they have caused a problem or not done the job properly.
    Keeps the missus on her toes while you build that new patio, eh?

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    neglected the VAT
    A surprising number of builders are not VAT registered. Quite how they manage this I don't know, although offering to pay in cash might help.

Serious point, shop around. I had an extension built in 2000 and there was no VAT charged and the builder was totally legit.

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied
    Remember, when your contractor turns up on site, don't forget to treat him entirely like an employee: give him a "job description", hold a performance review, ask him to sign up to your company values. And halfway through the build, ask him to architect some new houses for you. All as part of the original price, obviously.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    3 months IT contractor pay, seems reasonable to me.
    I'd rather the work wasn't done by an IT contractor...

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Blimey. I thought that's about what it costs to build a whole house! In fact I'm sure I've seen new-build properties being sold brand new for less than that!
    3 months IT contractor pay, seems reasonable to me.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    My brother got round the light issue by shoving a Dorma window in the roof. Above the bathroom. It was sort of tunneled through the loft, giving the bathroom a high ceiling with natural light.

We put sun tubes in the downstairs bathroom & utility. All you need is daylight and the rooms are bright.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Blimey. I thought that's about what it costs to build a whole house! In fact I'm sure I've seen new-build properties being sold brand new for less than that!

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied
    My brother got round the light issue by shoving a Dorma window in the roof. Above the bathroom. It was sort of tunneled through the loft, giving the bathroom a high ceiling with natural light.

Then his family continued to grow and eventually they moved somewhere bigger. Being the north east of england, he bought something the size of Blenheim Palace and still had change from a tenner.

Leave a comment:

• Gumbo Robot
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    When are your next 2 quotes coming in?
    Trying to get some more people in to quote at the moment....

I originally had an architect who did the plans for planning consent & she was going to manage the putting out to tender side of things but I decided she was one overhead I could do without.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied

When are your next 2 quotes coming in?

Leave a comment:

• Gumbo Robot
    replied
    I know nothing about building, but extended houses always tend to be dark. But there are better examples. OP asked about extend vs buy. Buying round my way, you will pay about 100k per bedroom. So extending looks like a good deal.

Don't forget to shove CAT6 cables everywhere. Stuff 'em in.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X