• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Employeer disallows pop email accounts"

Collapse

• TheMonkey
    replied
    Originally posted by css_jay99
    hey monkey, I clicked on that site and its blocked from work !
    ARgh!

Leave a comment:

• css_jay99
    replied
    Originally posted by TheMonkey
    You pathetic monkeys! Not like us elite ones!

http://www.mail2web.com/

hey monkey, I clicked on that site and its blocked from work !

Leave a comment:

• TheMonkey
    replied
    You pathetic monkeys! Not like us elite ones!

http://www.mail2web.com/

Leave a comment:

• mcquiggd
    replied
    3G phone with POP client / Web access. Why on earth risk a contract job paying hundreds a day, due to trying to check if your missus wants you to pick up a fivers worth of bog roll....??

Leave a comment:

• JaredM
    replied
    Originally posted by ratewhore
    Damn the clients and their security policies. And those access control swipe cards, they're a pain too. What are they thinking of. And while we're at it, get rid of the firewalls and anti-virus. Why can't I send a virus if I want? And those passwords too, they're a bit of a bugger...
    Point taken but there's a HUGE variation in what network restrictions are in place from one client to the next. One private bank I did some work for in Switzerland were tight but at the same time sensible. A big confectionary PLC in the UK blocked anything and everything - with no underlying reason.

Ever consider that some networks may have had restrictions placed upon them by complete numpties who don't have any real reason to put some restrictions on in the first place?

Also, if I need to access certain things as part of my job, then what? Most clients don't issue me with an email address on their own network, they send all emails to my own work mail account. Its fine when they restrict mail for their employees who have acccess to work email, but what about the contractor?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    VPN likely to be unpopular as is forwarding mail.

Its their network, you are a guest. The restrictions are there for a purpose.

If you use their mail system for any non client related stuff it could be seen as tacit approval / recommendation of that mail from the client. It is so easy for you to hit reply from inside your mail client.

VPN makes your network part of theirs & vice versa, this allows routes for infection etc.

Use webmail or a seperate system.

Leave a comment:

• NoddY
    replied
    Firewall circumvention often comes up on here. Usually most of them have whitelists with an implicit deny at the end. However, you might try IMAP/POP over SSL (993/995), a VPN back 'home' or Remote Desktop (RDP). The one that will usually work is your own web server over HTTP/S with webmail software on it (e.g. Squirrelmail / Roundcube; both these will query an IMAP server for you and present it in HTML).

The best option is the one mentioned earlier - use your own means of connecting off their network e.g. 3G or public 802.11a/b/g/n (WiFi).

Leave a comment:

• TwoWolves
    replied
    Its quite common for clients like the investment banks to block web mail access these days, the easy solution is to set-up a mail forwarder on your POP mail-server to your work address. If you want to send out simple emails its not too hard to install a simple cgi/php script on your server (if you have a site) to send emails, just make sure it has a cryptic URL (without mail in it) and is protected by a password.

Where there's a will there's a way.
    Last edited by TwoWolves; 4 October 2006, 12:58.

Leave a comment:

• Epiphone
    replied
    If you knowingly circumvent their security policies and they find out you'll be fired. Simple as.

Then you'll be on here boohoo-ing about being terminated early.

Easiest thing is to get a mobile phone/data card that does web access then you're keeping things entirely seperate.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    If it's a halfway decent mail service you are using then just set it up to forward all your mail to your current mail address at the client. Once you finish the gig turn off the forwarding.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Originally posted by ice53ltd
    I'm tired of these blocks clients put on their networks...
    Damn the clients and their security policies. And those access control swipe cards, they're a pain too. What are they thinking of. And while we're at it, get rid of the firewalls and anti-virus. Why can't I send a virus if I want? And those passwords too, they're a bit of a bugger...

For fucks sake!!

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    are they blocking IMAP as well? You couls always get an IMAP account. Also has its uses as all e-mail is stored on the server meaning you can access everything from anywhere

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by css_jay99
    my employeer (gov related) has blocked all pop/ internet mails

I wanted to know if there is a way round this
    Yes. Make the point to your employer that you want to read private emails at work. Come to an agreement with them about whether you will do so or not.

Or just stop trying to do at work what the employer doesn't want you to do.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Perhaps they're reading this board as we post. Counting the time you have been surfing as opposed to working.

You're going to get

Leave a comment:

• Daywalker
    replied
    Maybe the blocks are in for a reason!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X