• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Jeremy Corbyn

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Jeremy Corbyn"

Collapse

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Ahh, don't think we had them in the North...
    What? trains?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    You did.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    They aren't slam door trains though.

The doors are locked while the train was in motion to prevent you falling outside on to the tracks.

The fact that you have to put your hand outside to open them when they are in the station doesn't make them dangerous.

Right up until the law had to be implemented in the UK I had to commute on slam door trains. If someone jumped of the train when it slowed down an alarm would go off. The guard would then have to run up and down the train to check no one had fallen on the tracks. The fact that the culprit had got of at a station the train wasn't scheduled to stop at made no difference.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    The Virgin Eastcoast train I took last week had doors like that.
    They aren't slam door trains though.

The doors are locked while the train was in motion to prevent you falling outside on to the tracks.

The fact that you have to put your hand outside to open them when they are in the station doesn't make them dangerous.

Right up until the law had to be implemented in the UK I had to commute on slam door trains. If someone jumped of the train when it slowed down an alarm would go off. The guard would then have to run up and down the train to check no one had fallen on the tracks. The fact that the culprit had got of at a station the train wasn't scheduled to stop at made no difference.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    So you want to vote someone in so you don't have to lean out of the window to open a train door.
    Exactly right.

I'd also would like to vote for somebody who'd sort out the problem of queues to checkouts in Waitrose, but one can only hope for so much from Komrade Korbyn, let's not make his mission totally impossible, ok?

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    What is the ROI of QE so far??? It's negative because BoE was giving real money in exchange for some corporate BS bonds that would have never been sold on open market for the amount banks got. I'd rather have real working 21st century railways here passengers don't have to bend over and out of window to open the door.
    So you want to vote someone in so you don't have to lean out of the window to open a train door.

A system that served us well for about 100 years.

And therein lies the problem of why money is wasted.

Leave a comment:

• Zero Liability
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    It's inflation, obviously.
    hidden inflation
    A tax, by any other name...

Money printing leads to inflation, drop in exchange rates - all good for the ekonomy since we all now know that it's the deflation that's the enemy!
    Deflation and contractors.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
    That can still be funded through tax receipts; the rationale behind this money printing is that its consequences on the economy are less well understood than direct tax increases and it is easier to hide.

It's inflation, obviously.
    hidden inflation

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    That can still be funded through tax receipts; the rationale behind this money printing is that its consequences on the economy are less well understood than direct tax increases and it is easier to hide.
    Money printing leads to inflation, drop in exchange rates - all good for the ekonomy since we all now know that it's the deflation that's the enemy!

Leave a comment:

• Zero Liability
    replied

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Why replace one bad policy for one that is just slightly less bad? I agree that QE is a terrible policy. And for the sake of argument, lets say things like the police, law and order and some infrastructure need better funding. Why not instead focus on areas of the budget where there is waste and eliminate these to fund these improvements, rather than just conjuring money out of thin air?
    Police, law, order - that's all current spending that should be financed from taxes.

Big infrastructure spending should get big Govt support because private businesses require too high of a margin to justify long term investment - PPI tulip for example was insane policy, only good to hide effective borrowing of money from the Govt balance sheet.

Leave a comment:

• Zero Liability
    replied
    Why replace one bad policy for one that is just slightly less bad? I agree that QE is a terrible policy. And for the sake of argument, lets say things like the police, law and order and some infrastructure need better funding. Why not instead focus on areas of the budget where there is waste and eliminate these to fund these improvements, rather than just conjuring money out of thin air?
    Last edited by Zero Liability; 23 August 2015, 19:42.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    The ROI of these sort of government "investments" is dubious, at best, especially when debt or QE-financed. If he wanted to simply fund them out of tax receipts, I still wouldn't like it, but at least I'd have some respect for him.
    What is the ROI of QE so far??? It's negative because BoE was giving real money in exchange for some corporate BS bonds that would have never been sold on open market for the amount banks got. I'd rather have real working 21st century railways here passengers don't have to bend over and out of window to open the door.

Leave a comment:

• Zero Liability
    replied
    Labour voters will go for Korbyn, same UKIP and many ex-LibDems.

Also ex-Tory supporters like myself.
    Why? I really don't get it.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Corbyn got a point - why could not a fraction of QE 1, 2, 3 et al go towards some real infrastructure investment - say super high speed broadband, high speed railways, building new roads?

Or building lots of houses even, this could have been nice rent collected by the state for a very long time.
    Corblimey might have the odd good point. He may hit the nail on the head , now and then

but I don't want lessons in economics from someone who meets with our sworn enemies and supports them over the lives of our own soldiers. He is not a friend of this country

Leave a comment:

Working...
X