• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Permie Job advice

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Permie Job advice"

Collapse

• lukemg
    replied
    Originally posted by Alf W
    So they want to 'start' you on Contract terms and, presumably, Permy rates. This will drag on for a year after which you'll dumped and they'll have had a half price Contractor for 12 months. If they were serious they'd have had all this properly lined up.

Tell 'em to get serious or get lost. Alternatively, give them your 'short term' rate.
    Absolutely, tell them you are happy to contract and quote generous contract rate, then you can check the place out and make a good decision about whether to stay or not. Sound incredulous as they explain the contract will be at expected permie rate, walk if you have a choice or not desperate to get in.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by DGK
    Thanks Alf. Only joking Mordy me old buddy. Take it easy son.
    So you are HHH? Glad you've recovered in that case. That was a rather extreme way to get 6 months in bed...

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    I would accept their offer of a short term contract, but at a suitably high rate which is at least 3 times your permie daily pay. This would (a) give them the impression that you must be a very valuable person indeed and (b) make them speed up the process of employing you as a permie.

Leave a comment:

• the guy with the bowtie
    replied
    I suspect the issue is one of budgeting. The organisation may well be under a headcount / payroll freeze until their year end / quarter reporting etc. passes but temp labour is not classified in the same "bucket" and not under such tight constraints.

Leave a comment:

• DGK
    replied
    Thanks Alf. Only joking Mordy me old buddy. Take it easy son.

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    So they want to 'start' you on Contract terms and, presumably, Permy rates. This will drag on for a year after which you'll dumped and they'll have had a half price Contractor for 12 months. If they were serious they'd have had all this properly lined up.

Tell 'em to get serious or get lost. Alternatively, give them your 'short term' rate.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by DGK
    Cheers Mordac.

DGK

ps: Got anymore paper qualifications recently? or are you too busy working out how to cluster Windows boxes?
    Are you the little fucker who broke his neck by any chance?

Edit - and just for the record, I've never had a problem clustering Windows boxes, I believe you were the one who was struggling.
    Last edited by Mordac; 3 October 2006, 18:27.

Leave a comment:

• DGK
    replied
    Cheers Mordac.

DGK

ps: Got anymore paper qualifications recently? or are you too busy working out how to cluster Windows boxes?

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by DGK
    What would you read into this.
    That HR are so grotesquely inefficient they can't organise the sign-off for a permie headcount, but they can get authorisation for a contractor, because there's less paperwork involved. Usual story then. Try ringing the HR department and see if their story tallies with the agency's story. If it doesn't, then you have a problem.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by DGK
    Don't be a c**t , this is my life we're talking about you sausage jockey.
    Profanity and a permie....

Leave a comment:

• simes
    replied
    I'd sit there, think about it, twiddle the digits, think about it some more and then.......... do nothing.

There.

And since the question is demonstrating dynamism and fire, so too is the answer.

Leave a comment:

• DGK
    replied
    Don't be a c**t , this is my life we're talking about you sausage jockey.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    This is a board for 'Contractors' the clue is in the title....permies are the forces of darkness - begone!!

Leave a comment:

• DGK
    started a topic Permie Job advice

Permie Job advice

Went for a permie job last week and got the offer today. The agent rang me about an hour ago saying that they were so keen to get me onboard that they want to start me on a short term contract "while the paperwork is sorted out".

What would you read into this. My recent personality test suggested I'm 99% suspicious so I'll ask my good buddies on here instead

Working...
X