• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Advice needed - missus wants a shop"

Collapse

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    Ok Boyz

I know what to look for from a common sense point of view, but what insight can youse give me regarding the hidden pitfalls of taking over a shop.
    A while ago someone wrote a hilarious book detailing the manifold reasons NOT to want to own and run a pub these days :

So You Want a Boozer

Although the title doesn't ring any bells, it may be someone has written a similar book "So You Want a Wool Shop"

Seriously, it sounds like something that might be better done more informally via word of mouth, and perhaps cash in hand.

Why not? All you'll get from doing it officially is a load of gyp and wilful obstruction from every branch of officialdom, from the local council to HMR&C
    Last edited by OwlHoot; 19 August 2015, 15:43.

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Is it currently profitable?

Knit some sledges, MF says they sell like hot cakes.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by unixman View Post
    Sorry I know nothing about running shops. But be aware you will be in competition with that there Internet.
    Indeed if people have the patience to knit they can wait for wool & Patterns from Amazon.

as mentioned above you need to do something they can't get on the internet e.g. a Knitting club.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    People who knit don't have electricity yet, let alone the Internet....
    I'm not sure that's accurate.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by unixman View Post
    Sorry I know nothing about running shops. But be aware you will be in competition with that there Internet.
    People who knit don't have electricity yet, let alone the Internet....

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    Been there, done that, when I was a lot younger. Ingliston, The Barras. Don't miss the 4.30 AM starts at all
    Hi Eli!

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    You don't even need to run a shop. Just make chocolates and do a few farmers markets...

Its the markets that are the absolute killer....
    Been there, done that, when I was a lot younger. Ingliston, The Barras. Don't miss the 4.30 AM starts at all

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    TO be fair when I saw your name as last poster in this thread on the welcome page I had assumed Mrs Eek was after trading up
    There is no suitable site, what we need is production facilities more than retail facilities...

Even then its actually hard to make chocolate work you really need to tag it on to a coffee shop....

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    You don't even need to run a shop. Just make chocolates and do a few farmers markets...

TO be fair when I saw your name as last poster in this thread on the welcome page I had assumed Mrs Eek was after trading up

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Have nothing to add other than

The Woolly Gladiator?

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    Have to concede that this is fecking true........

Leave a comment:

• MicrosoftBob
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    why thank you kind sir. I am currently reading a book '10 ways to run a successful pie shop - Sweeny Todd'

when I have finished that, I'll be right back
    Phew at least it wasn't the Labour parties book on how to run a PIE shop

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    60 Hours + 40 hours just doesn't add up. Having a shop is a 24 hour x 365 enterprise and should not be underestimated on how much time is involved. But for a husband and wife, where one of them is a contractor with a Ltd company then you can set up in such a way that you'll make more money even if the business makes a loss
    Have to concede that this is fecking true........

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

If I was asked directly I would be willing to divulge all of my secrets, how to best setup your tax affairs and maybe even upload an Excel Shop Model which has all of the inputs....

But only if asked nicely...

why thank you kind sir. I am currently reading a book '10 ways to run a successful pie shop - Sweeny Todd'

when I have finished that, I'll be right back

Leave a comment:

Working...
X