• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "HMRC think you are tax evading scum - what will you do?"

Collapse

• NibblyPig
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I've also had an employer who let me go with the promise of 3 months' pay, then refused to pay it.
    Are you saying they fired you and promised 3 months pay? Cos that sounds silly.

So does working when you don't get paid. If I don't get paid as a permie they better come up with a damn good excuse on the spot, I'd never stick around for even 1 month never mind 3.

Of course, if you're a contractor, you don't have that luxury

Leave a comment:

• teapot418
    replied
    Maybe since you're all "business owners" and "entrepreneurs" you should do what such people do when circumstances change, and adapt your business to a more profitable/less disadvantageous area.
    I think you're confusing business owners with successful business owners.

Five Reasons 8 Out Of 10 Businesses Fail

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Having not paid a penny of corporation or income tax or NI contributions for 13 years, I'd say HMRC are entirely correct in their assessment of me.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I've also had an employer who let me go with the promise of 3 months' pay, then refused to pay it.
    What did you do to get your money back with interest and massive compensation for your hurt feelings?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Technically you didn't LOSE money but I think you'll meet VM's criteria

I had one client who didn't pay a couple of invoices, came to about £15k. I ended up writing it off for the CT relief a couple of years later.
    Oh but contractors are employees! How dare you right-off the loss of some salary from your employer against a business tax!

You should have taken them to an employees tribuneral!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Hands up any contractors that have actually lost money.

You don't bear a risk.
    Originally posted by fool View Post
    I had two on the bounce that didn't pay:-

#1 - 22k. Stated reason: lack of cashflow.
    #2 - 16k. Stated reason: lol, site went down once, you bad, i don't pay.

Full disclosure; #1 has now paid after I sent them a statutory demand. At the time though my co had £38k of unpaid invoices and I had no warchest wondering where mortgage payments were coming from.
    Technically you didn't LOSE money but I think you'll meet VM's criteria

I had one client who didn't pay a couple of invoices, came to about £15k. I ended up writing it off for the CT relief a couple of years later.

Leave a comment:

• fool
    replied

You don't bear a risk.
    I had two on the bounce that didn't pay:-

#1 - 22k. Stated reason: lack of cashflow.
    #2 - 16k. Stated reason: lol, site went down once, you bad, i don't pay.

Full disclosure; #1 has now paid after I sent them a statutory demand. At the time though my co had £38k of unpaid invoices and I had no warchest wondering where mortgage payments were coming from.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
    Well until they level the playing field yes, I already pay treble in corporation tax than what would be paid in tax, NI and ER NIC's if I were a permie. Plus from next year another 2k when the dividend tax comes in, what more do they want? Where does it stop?
    It stops right after payment of inheritance tax on your estate

And before that happens - it rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again

HTH

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Over the phone, this guy tried to put a brave face on having to pay up. But I could tell he was suffering, as if his bollocks were in a vice and he was struggling not to scream or even groan.

Had it not been for that extra day I'm sure he would never have paid. But in the event, thank God, I was paid in full.
    Ah ze vice, always works - know yer vices!

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    I nearly lost several K, for a two month contract via an agency ran by (as I later found out) one of the biggest non-paying serial-agency-folding villains in the UK.

But as luck would have it, a couple of months later the client (which it seemed was his largest and most lucrative) desperately needed a small but crucial update in one of the scripts that I had written, only a day's work, and I agreed to this only once my previous invoice had been paid in full and the day's new work paid in advance.

Over the phone, this guy tried to put a brave face on having to pay up. But I could tell he was suffering, as if his bollocks were in a vice and he was struggling not to scream or even groan.

Had it not been for that extra day I'm sure he would never have paid. But in the event, thank God, I was paid in full.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
    Aren't you a permie?!
    Nope, i am a Company Director.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    I plan to retire by 2020, Vote for Korbyn's Real Labour and emigrate.

HTH
    Aren't you a permie?!

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    I do hope people here can remember this come the next general election (but please don't vote Labour unless you want to be unemployed for 5 years).
    I plan to retire by 2020, Vote for Korbyn's Real Labour and emigrate.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied

You don't bear a risk.
    I invested and lost £10k in a Plan B.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X