• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Duvet Days

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Duvet Days"

Collapse

• MicrosoftBob
    replied
    Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
    Still utilising the "JFDI" methodology here which I find works well.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• Mincepie
    replied
    Amen to that

Originally posted by Gumbo Robot View Post
    Or have a cardiac arrest.

I need time out - I can't believe how long some on here claim to work without taking any time off.

If you're enjoying what you're doing then fair enough but doing a monster commute + mindnumbing work leaves me feeling totally burnt out after a couple of months.

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    Still utilising the "Just do what needs doing" methodology here which I find works well.

Leave a comment:

• Dallas
    replied
    My only fun takeaway is teaching the TCS grunts Northern english slang and swear words. I am waiting for one of them to tell the Dev lead that he is talking b@llocks and has a face like a bulldog chewing a wasp.

Leave a comment:

• Gumbo Robot
    replied
    I agree that there is a humiliating aspect to standups. In ours, the testers have too much clout and they routinely delight in telling the group that such and such doesn't work because so and so has f***d up.

It reduces you to being a grunt. Mundane, bite sized pieces of code all wrapped up in mindnumbing administrative tasks to complete.

I used to really enjoy the technical challenges of project work. Now the challenge is getting through the tedium of the working day.

There's no way I'm putting myself through this if they take our expenses away!

Originally posted by Goatfell View Post

Inneresting...
    Not my catchphrase!

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied

I need time out - I can't believe how long some on here claim to work without taking any time off.

If you're enjoying what you're doing then fair enough but doing a monster commute + mindnumbing work leaves me feeling totally burnt out after a couple of months.
    Funnily enough today client manager said he'd never met contractor who takes as much time off as me. LOL. Last 9 months it only been about 20 days which is about right for me.

Then again one contractor there who's taken 1 day in the last two years. Sod that.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    As Ferris Buelers sister said "I'd have to be bleeding from my eyes"

I take days - plenty - but dont waste on sickies!

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    Is it satire?
    That blog post is a brain dump of someone who understands nothing of 'Agile' or Scrum. Almost every paragraph exposes a fundamental misunderstanding - which of course will lead to bad experiences.

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    For a weeks work you shouldn't be needing more than an hour. You're doing it wrong.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied

Sshhhh don't let the cat out of the bag. I've been making a half decent living out of Agile for years.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Lol. That's a really good read.

Leave a comment:

• Goatfell
    replied
    Interesting...

Inneresting...

Leave a comment:

• Gumbo Robot
    replied
    Interesting...

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Sprint planning. How comes it takes for frickin long. I've had 8 hour planning meetings for a weeks work!

Then a four hour meeting at the end of the "sprint" for retrospective, and daily standups.

What utter ***** dreampt up this torture?
    Why “Agile” and especially Scrum are terrible

Leave a comment:

• I just need to test it
    replied

Well, I'm all for time off. Just not duvet days.

Incidentally, what fixed my sickness record as a permie was when our works five-a-side night got shifted to a Monday.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X