• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Plan B idea v7.253

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Plan B idea v7.253"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Yes. In cities they call them serviced apartments. Weekly rentals with everything included (no bills). Alternative to hotel for slightly longer stays, should be priced similar to a smart and clean low cost hotel.
    I thought serviced apartments normally had daily cleaning (like a hotel) whereas holiday lets didn't but other than that it is the same*

*and the fact a holiday let is often 3X the price but only attracts income 4 months a year.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    This is basically the holiday let model, right?
    Yes. In cities they call them serviced apartments. Weekly rentals with everything included (no bills). Alternative to hotel for slightly longer stays, should be priced similar to a smart and clean low cost hotel.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    140k BTL mortgage max 600/month interest only.
    Wowser, BTL mortgages are pricey.

We only just remortgaged and pay ~£550 repayments pcm on a £175k mortgage!

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    Still no answer - are there any drawbacks here, this is my calculation:

Short-term rental income: 1560 based on 60% occupancy

Cleaning costs: 150/month

What's the catch?
    What about other bills Electric, Water, Council Tax, most places expect WiFi to all be included? Agency costs to find tenants?

After all that you then got to pay tax on the income?

£1560 a month
    -600 mortgage
    -150 cleaning
    -350 "other bills"
    -125 Agency fee (8%)

£335 a month or just over 4 grand a year.

For £600 a week people would expect very high end furnishings etc which will eat that £4k up

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    This is basically the holiday let model, right?

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Still no answer - are there any drawbacks here, this is my calculation:

Short-term rental income: 1560 based on 60% occupancy

Cleaning costs: 150/month

What's the catch?

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    It's good to see you have grand ambitions.

Most of the folkes on here could get their hands on £25k without too much problem, £140k and you are looking at a mortgage which complicates thing. Also if your tenant trashes a £25k house, you will shrugg it off, if they trash a £140k house you are in trouble.

From little acorns mighty oaks grow!

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Funny you should say that, I was looking at a place up here (arse end of no where but lots of contractors).

Two bedroom house here £25k, say £100 a week per room @ 45 weeks a year = £9,000

A cleaner is £25 a week = £1300 a year

Electric, water, council tax and broadband say £250 a month = £3000

£4700 a year on a £25k investment

Won't make you a king but nice little supliment to real income
    It's good to see you have grand ambitions.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    well B&B for the council is about £500 a week, get a few of those and you could retire.Though you might have to pay the cleaner a lot more.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    nah that would be by the hour

ATW how's life, did you buy your Porsche ?

Milan.
    Not yet.

But I've got a German car that requires lots of maintenance and doing around 13 mpg in the city

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Kings Cross?
    nah that would be by the hour

ATW how's life, did you buy your Porsche ?

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by b0redom View Post
    £800/week? That's ~ £115/night. You'd get a nice hotel for that with lots of amenities. I find it pretty unlikely you'd get anything people would want to pay that for for £140k.

Do you have any examples?
    You only let it out to the kind of tenants no hotel would want to put in - like axe murders on parole etc...

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Are you talking about services apartments, which are like a self catering hotel room (cleaning, electric, water, laundry, internet included in weekly rent)?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serviced_apartment

Sounds like a good idea near a train station or close to a large business park.
    Kings Cross?

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    as a business proposition you should be expecting the profit from the venture to cover the cost of the apartment within 10 years

therefore, looking at it one way, 140k for the apartment divided by 10 years, when I went to skool was, 14k

14k divided by 52 weeks (and now we are assuming 100% utilisation) is 269 spondoolees per week.

269spondoolees divided by 7 days is 39quid a night.

so, after all your costs and assuming 100% utilisation you need to be making 40quid a night to pay it off in 10 years.

working the calculation the other way, if we assume your numbers, 800quid a week rental income at 100% utilisation, that's 40k a year, multiplied by ten years giving a retail value of 400,000 for the apartment.

to conclude, if you can buy something for 140,000 and rent it out with very high utilisation for 800quid a week

then it sounds like a winner

Milan.

disclaimer - usual conditions apply and I am not authorised or qualified to give any financial advice at all in any respect ever

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by b0redom View Post
    £800/week? That's ~ £115/night. You'd get a nice hotel for that with lots of amenities. I find it pretty unlikely you'd get anything people would want to pay that for for £140k.

Do you have any examples?
    You can have a family of 5 staying in a 2 bed flat without having to rent 2 seperate rooms out and you get the comforts of kitchen/lounge and home living.

The example is what I just rented out for a friend - 800/week for a flat that cost 130k a year ago near manchester airport. It's new build accommodation that's furnished to a high standard. You have alternatives with places like central Manchester and they command higher rents of 1600+/week. Though the price is more like 2x the cost of the cheaper rental - obviously.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X