• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Monday morning rant"

Collapse

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    urgh

working with clever people, you have to break into a sweat. Stupid people is where its at, they only do half a job and you can have fun pointing it out.
    Absolutely!

Certain phrases in contract ads ring geek alert alarm bells for me, one such being "passionate about .."

Nothing worse than working with a bunch of "passionate" know-it-all opinionated programmers.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Wot, no luxury detached houses there???

I've seen at least one in center of Cardiff myself, it had very nice tall stone fence around it and a moat inside.
    yes but the neighbours

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post

I've seen at least one in center of Cardiff myself, it had very nice tall stone fence around it and a moat inside.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    He lives in Wales.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Don't have time to read whole thread, in short - did the OP get an acute case of suity?

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by allaboutthebenjis View Post
    I get this.

I'd swap places to stay at home anytime
    Me too....

Leave a comment:

• allaboutthebenjis
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Even my dear Mrs P is at it! Paid for a spa day for her yesterday but she came back and moaned she never gets time to herself and its ok for me going to work when she has to look after the kids. (Yeh I love dealing with nobheads for 8 hours a day at client site - and then a relaxing 90 min journey home!).
    I get this.

I'd swap places to stay at home anytime

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
    My job is easier than many. I enjoy it and I work with clever people who are also a good laugh. I enjoy my 45 minute drive each day as I get some personal time and listen to audio books.

When people tell me my job is easy or overpaid or whatever, I smile and ask them why they aren't doing it too if it such an easy life?
    urgh

working with clever people, you have to break into a sweat. Stupid people is where its at, they only do half a job and you can have fun pointing it out.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Er, is it? Wasn't the OP's point that his family and friends imagine IT contracting is some low grade temping job along the lines of a part time job in PC World?

All too true in my experience too.
    Maybe that's more about the way PC portrays his job (and the work he does).

And stop trying to derail this thread back onto the original point.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by I just need to test it View Post
    This IT contracting is an easy life. Long periods of humdrum with brief periods of stress for pot loads of money. Usually there's ample time for a quick look on the interweb, or a coffee. Lovely.

Travelling - it can be a drag, yes. I suppose the key is to adjust your state of mind to it. Acceptance is the first step. "I'm stuck in this situation for 180 minutes a day. How can I use it best?". Treat yourself to an iPod and a Kindle. Lovely. Suddenly, instead of refereeing the kids or being stuck in nose to tail traffic you are in a magical world filled with music and the tranquil state brought about by the reading of a good book. Lovely.
    Or kip for me.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Yep. But it's only a HWF if both parents are working.

Anyway, this thread about PC crying that he's expected to work hard in return for his substantial earnings. I think he should claim JSA again
    Fixed that for me.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    IQs that are collectively above that of a concussed bee
    Excellent turn of phrase! I will steal it

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by I just need to test it View Post
    This IT contracting is an easy life. Long periods of humdrum with brief periods of stress for pot loads of money. Usually there's ample time for a quick look on the interweb, or a coffee. Lovely.

Travelling - it can be a drag, yes. I suppose the key is to adjust your state of mind to it. Acceptance is the first step. "I'm stuck in this situation for 180 minutes a day. How can I use it best?". Treat yourself to an iPod and a Kindle. Lovely. Suddenly, instead of refereeing the kids or being stuck in nose to tail traffic you are in a magical world filled with music and the tranquil state brought about by the reading of a good book. Lovely.
    I tried that but it caused chaos on the roads I found.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    My job is easier than many. I enjoy it and I work with clever people who are also a good laugh. I enjoy my 45 minute drive each day as I get some personal time and listen to audio books.

When people tell me my job is easy or overpaid or whatever, I smile and ask them why they aren't doing it too if it such an easy life?

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Anyway, this thread about PC crying that he's expected to work hard in return for his substantial earnings. ...
    Er, is it? Wasn't the OP's point that his family and friends imagine IT contracting is some low grade temping job along the lines of a part time job in PC World?

All too true in my experience too.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X