• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Ivy

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Ivy"

Collapse

• minestrone
    replied
    Some ivy has completely worked its way into a 100 year old wall in the back garden . I don't want kill it as the branches that are all through the mortar would degrade over time and weaken the wall.

I just have to attack it once a year. If it gets left for a few years it will become about a foot deep on the wall and you end up cutting it off with a hedge trimmer like cutting slices of birthday cake.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Glad to know its not just me that is dealing with a problem garden!

I'm trying to remove everything that is not lawn, small trees, bushes all gone. I'm scratched to hell! I even bought a new mower from Bosh, powered by batteries. Saves on time messing about getting petrol and oil.

I did try to get someone in to do the gardening but they are expensive and said they would only do the lawn, not the hedges, bushes, plants. I also feel a bit guilty but being in the garden its one of the few times I get some sun.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
    They are what a wife is meant for. Why outsource and waste dosh?
    Because I'm not divorced nor plan to be

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Quite like Ivy me. looks much nicer than bare fence.

Not that I would ever seriously disagree with someone with your signature. Good eman, I mean name, too.

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    I am a contractor. Anything I don't want to do gets subcontracted to someone who is better at it than me. Gardening, ironing and cleaning are all items to be outsourced...
    They are what a wife is meant for. Why outsource and waste dosh?

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by ELBBUBKUNPS View Post
    Yeah tbh now I'm in the house and seen what the garden is like in spring / summer I am truly surprised I don't have knot weed. After 8 weekend of constantly being in the garden I relented today and booked myself a gardener.
    I am a contractor. Anything I don't want to do gets subcontracted to someone who is better at it than me. Gardening, ironing and cleaning are all items to be outsourced...

Leave a comment:

• ELBBUBKUNPS
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Be thankful it's not Fallopia japonica...
    Yeah tbh now I'm in the house and seen what the garden is like in spring / summer I am truly surprised I don't have knot weed. After 8 weekend of constantly being in the garden I relented today and booked myself a gardener.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Be thankful it's not Fallopia japonica...

Leave a comment:

• ELBBUBKUNPS
    started a topic Ivy

Ivy

I got loads of it in my garden been clearing it for weeks.

I spotted before what I thought was a tree / shrub as the trunk was approx. 9-10inch in diameter so ignored it turns out its a ivy stem, to get that large it must of been there for years........ I'm ringing record breakers ......

Working...
X