• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Driving on wrong side of M4 for 7 miles!!!"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    3 Months

Out in a couple of weeks then.

Apparently we will be out of cells next week, so only hardened crims like pensioners who refuse to pay council tax will be locked up.

Leave a comment:

• mcquiggd
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll
    From the Social Security website:

The reasons why financial assistance are given include:

* redistribution. Benefits which go to people who have inadequate incomes, at the expense of people who are more, are progressive. Support for children, by contrast, is mainly a form of horizontal redistribution, going from people without children to people with children.
    Actually it's this bit that scares me... it openly admits that policy is redistribution of wealth, irrespective of how that was earned, and why it should be 'given'.

'Progressive'???? They have bulk bought new labours 'phrases to justify your inadequacy' book.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by lilelvis2000
    Yeah, riiiiiiiight
    From the Social Security website:

The reasons why financial assistance are given include:

* the relief of poverty.
    * social protection. The idea of 'social security' implies that people ought to be able to feel secure. This involves, not only being protected against poverty, but being protected against the hardships that may arise through a change in circumstances. If people become sick, or unemployed, they should not, the argument goes, have to lose their possessions or deprive themselves as a result. This is why people on benefit should be expected to have cars and television sets.
    * redistribution. Benefits which go to people who have inadequate incomes, at the expense of people who are more, are progressive. Support for children, by contrast, is mainly a form of horizontal redistribution, going from people without children to people with children.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• mcquiggd
    replied
    Actually there was a case a year or so back when the local 'social security' office authorised a payment to buy a family (I think they were Kurdish...?) a car as it worked out cheaper than paying for their taxis to visit their mother in hospital.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Originally posted by mcquiggd
    They hand them out at Lunar House. Probably got the car off the social as well.
    Yeah, riiiiiiiight

Leave a comment:

• mcquiggd
    replied
    They hand them out at Lunar House. Probably got the car off the social as well.

Leave a comment:

• zeitghost
    replied
    You mean he actually had a licence?

Duw.

There's posh then.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife
    Motorway wrong-way driver banned
    A 63-year-old man has been banned from driving for five years after he admitted driving seven miles down the M4 near Swindon in the wrong direction.
    Turns out he can't read, so he couldn't read the road signs.

Nobody can explain how he got his licence in the first place. Un-PC not to give him one I suppose.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    My plan was always to jump off the Clifton suspension bridge and land on the queen mother. I really must get round to updating it.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek
    Actually, I'm rather looking forward to retirement, because it seems that you you have carte blanche to get away with such vehicular and non-vehicular mischief, and blame it (rightly or wrongly) on being doo-lally.

Let's be honest..Retirement is the Impending Signal to Die, so if you have an extra few years, you may as well enjoy them before you croak it. See "Waiting for God".

Mind you, I had an interesting discussion with a mate, who said that he wanted to go out in a blaze of random senselessness.

Belltower, Sniper Rifle, random targets.

I asked him what the motive was and he replied "None. None whatsoever. Because that pi55es off the the Police and the grieving families.They WANT answers and there ARE none. They want to know their little girl/husband/whatever didnt die in vain...when in fact they did."

I thought about his words, and I think he had a point.

Tomorrow, your loved one, or you, will walk in the front of a pair of crosshairs. And the trigger may be pulled. For no reason at all. And the body will fall, lifeless to the floor.

Can you reconcile that ? Can you appreciate death without meaning ?
    This concept needs updating and for maximum effect should be directed only at Labour party leaders/party workers/voters

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Actually, I'm rather looking forward to retirement, because it seems that you you have carte blanche to get away with such vehicular and non-vehicular mischief, and blame it (rightly or wrongly) on being doo-lally.

Let's be honest..Retirement is the Impending Signal to Die, so if you have an extra few years, you may as well enjoy them before you croak it. See "Waiting for God".

Mind you, I had an interesting discussion with a mate, who said that he wanted to go out in a blaze of random senselessness.

Belltower, Sniper Rifle, random targets.

I asked him what the motive was and he replied "None. None whatsoever. Because that pi55es off the the Police and the grieving families.They WANT answers and there ARE none. They want to know their little girl/husband/whatever didnt die in vain...when in fact they did."

I thought about his words, and I think he had a point.

Tomorrow, your loved one, or you, will walk in the front of a pair of crosshairs. And the trigger may be pulled. For no reason at all. And the body will fall, lifeless to the floor.

Can you reconcile that ? Can you appreciate death without meaning ?
    Last edited by Board Game Geek; 30 September 2006, 03:04.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Reminds me of the time I was in York, driving on the wrong side of the street. And the time in Blackburn, and the time in Rochdale, and the time in Cheetham hill (but then everyone drives on the wrong side there). Haven't tried a motorway yet though.

Leave a comment:

• zeitghost
    replied
    I assume that this one had eyes... unlike the clown the other week.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    What the Judge should have given him is a free one-way ticket back to Yemen.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Ah, looks like we won't have witty remarks from DimPrawn for at least 3 months - he sure won't be let out early for good behavior, his real name sure sucks

Leave a comment:

Working...
X