• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Online music stores"

Collapse

• gables
    replied
    Originally posted by unixman View Post
    Excellent point. However the Autorip is 256kb/s, shame they didn't go for 320 or FLAC.

I rip to FLAC for storage and then 256kb/s VBR for listening. Don't want to have the discussion but 256 VBR is better than simple 256.
    I agree, I think they went to match Apple for bitrate, but if I want to re-rip at least I have the CD, unlike those with just the download.

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Most CDs from Amazon come with a free MP3 copy through Autorip... often the CD is cheaper (even with delivery) than the MP3 album so I have a pile of unopened CDs.
    Excellent point. However the Autorip is 256kb/s, shame they didn't go for 320 or FLAC.

I rip to FLAC for storage and then 256kb/s VBR for listening. Don't want to have the discussion but 256 VBR is better than simple 256.

Leave a comment:

• GlenW
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    Spotify for me, £9.99 a month for offline listening.
    This, I've yet to not be able to find anything I wanted.

Leave a comment:

• Spoiler
    replied
    Well, I was in the process of signing up to apple music, when it started going on about needing to authorise my imac, and I already had 5 things authorised, so de-auth one of those, etc...

So I bailed out at that point and bought some albums on amazon (whichever was the cheapest option, CD or Mp3, as long as the CD included autorip). Seems that autorip doesn't apply to buying used CDs off Amazon, which is fair enough.

Leave a comment:

• gables
    replied
    The iPad app downloads it while it streams (if you ask it to).

now you're just showing off

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by gables View Post
    Yeah, but I'm playing it while you're downloading I want it now LOL
    The iPad app downloads it while it streams (if you ask it to).

Leave a comment:

• gables
    replied
    Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
    It would not even cross their minds to purchase a CD and if they did we'd have a problem as we don't have a CD player in the house. Have 7 iPods, six laptops, 3 tablets and a couple of games consoles.
    And that's why I bought a Bang and Olufsen HiFi like this:

http://beophile.com/?page_id=1132

Looks ace and sounds superb.

Leave a comment:

• tomtomagain
    replied
    Originally posted by Spoiler View Post
    Where are the "kool kidz" buying their music online these days ?

Or are they streaming it - but I want to listen to it offline, so I'm not cool enough for streaming just yet.

Think the last stuff I bought was from Amazon ...
    My teenagers ( 17, 14 & 13 ) have never bought a CD in their lives. Ever thing is streamed ( from Spotify ).

It would not even cross their minds to purchase a CD and if they did we'd have a problem as we don't have a CD player in the house. Have 7 iPods, six laptops, 3 tablets and a couple of games consoles.

The "cool" music isn't on Spotify though. And it's definitely not on Apple Music. It is being made by teenagers and early 20-somethings in their bedrooms and pushed out on the likes of YouTube.

* * Which reminds me. Being an old fart I have several draws full of CD's from the late 80's and 90's which I have absolutely no way of playing. Really must take them to the charity shop.

Leave a comment:

• gables
    replied
    Of course a dodgy person would then sell the physical CD; I assume that's not lawful but I've no idea how it works - do they rely on an honour system that you will stop listening to MP3s/streaming of albums you no longer own the CD for?
    Interesting point, not that I'd sell mine as I like them on the wall and all the touchy feely bit of them.

My friends think I'm a luddite when I talk about buying CDs, they think I of all people shouldn't be doing this...

Leave a comment:

• gables
    replied
    You can download a copy immediately you purchase, so I'm not sure 2 & 3 are both needed. But yes
    Yeah, but I'm playing it while you're downloading I want it now LOL

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    You can download a copy immediately you purchase, so I'm not sure 2 & 3 are both needed. But yes

Of course a dodgy person would then sell the physical CD; I assume that's not lawful but I've no idea how it works - do they rely on an honour system that you will stop listening to MP3s/streaming of albums you no longer own the CD for?

Leave a comment:

• gables
    replied

Most CDs from Amazon come with a free MP3 copy through Autorip... often the CD is cheaper (even with delivery) than the MP3 album so I have a pile of unopened CDs.
    So for me....

1. Buy from Amazon with Autorip
    2. Stream from AmazonCloud to Sonos - whilst waiting for CD
    3. Download from AmazonCloud to NAS
    4. Put CD in CD rack on wall

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Onto page two and not one person has mentioned torrents

Leave a comment:

• Martin@AS Financial
    replied
    Originally posted by Spoiler View Post
    Where are the "kool kidz" buying their music online these days ?

Or are they streaming it - but I want to listen to it offline, so I'm not cool enough for streaming just yet.

Think the last stuff I bought was from Amazon ...

Since the death of all my fave record shops, I tend to use Traxsource, Beatport, Stompy (although this has just closed) and Juno

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by MicrosoftBob View Post
    NAS box for me full of FLAC and MP3s, £0 a month for offline and online listening
    Well quite. I have a similar digitized collection of all my old music, some bought and ripped, plenty hooky copies off the web.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X