• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Sunday Girl

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Sunday Girl"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Most of the middle managers are being shafted themselves. And if they don't shaft the proles, they will be sacked and replaced with someone who will.
    possibly but when I look up I just see assholes...

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    most shift jobs have lost the concept of the weekend over the years. Never underestimate the power of managers to shaft the proles.
    Most of the middle managers are being shafted themselves. And if they don't shaft the proles, they will be sacked and replaced with someone who will.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by unixman View Post
    You have now. But if all days become equivalent, what's to stop your client/employer asking you to work any of the 7 days for the same money ? Without a weekly repeating template, the notion of a weekend eventually disappears.
    most shift jobs have lost the concept of the weekend over the years. Never underestimate the power of managers to shaft the proles.

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Why is there a "week" at all? Where did a 7-day period come from? Every other calendar period has a physical/astronomical meaning but the "week" doesn't seem to correspond to anything real.
    It's half a fortnight. Google is your friend

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Why is there a "week" at all? Where did a 7-day period come from? Every other calendar period has a physical/astronomical meaning but the "week" doesn't seem to correspond to anything real.

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied
    Originally posted by Chuck View Post
    There is no equivalence between Mon-Fri and Sat currently. Why would Sunday become any more of a weekday than Saturday is now?
    Saturday is only different from Mon-Fri because of Sunday, which beaks up the days into a 7 day pattern. You say a pattern will persist, but I disagree. I think business and money pressures will see it off, eventually. Too many large companies want to force sno-cones/burgers and chicken buckets down our windpipes 24/7.

Better if we reduce opening hours on Saturday too, and have 3 day weekends. I'd go for that.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck
    replied
    You have now. But if all days become equivalent, what's to stop your client/employer asking you to work any of the 7 days for the same money ? Without a weekly repeating template, the notion of a weekend eventually disappears.

There is no equivalence between Mon-Fri and Sat currently. Why would Sunday become any more of a weekday than Saturday is now?

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    I have 2 days that are different to the 5 where I go to work.

And just because shops are open doesn't mean you can't sit at home in your underpants.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Usually one of the arguments is the poor workers forced to work on a Sunday, but in reality plenty of part-time or temporary workers are delighted to have the extra hours.
    How about paying a sensible wage so they don't have to work all hours?

Oh I forgot - the rich have all the money.

Sometimes, not often but sometimes, I can see why people give up work and sponge.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    What he said. I like one day being different, it gives a pattern to the others. If Sunday becomes the same as every other days, we might as well abolish weekdays and weeks altogether,

And having 1 day where we are not cramming our cake holes with icecream/ipads/chasing worthless tat is sort of cool.
    I have 2 days that are different to the 5 where I go to work.

And just because shops are open doesn't mean you can't sit at home in your underpants.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    You may have a point, but a day where you can't buy food, petrol, or travel anywhere is too much of a PITA.
    Where do you have to be that's so important

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied
    Originally posted by Gumbo Robot View Post
    Bad.

I'm not religious but I like the concept of a day where the world shuts the F*** up.
    What he said. I like one day being different, it gives a pattern to the others. If Sunday becomes the same as every other days, we might as well abolish weekdays and weeks altogether,

And having 1 day where we are not cramming our cake holes with icecream/ipads/chasing worthless tat is sort of cool.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Gumbo Robot View Post
    Bad.

I'm not religious but I like the concept of a day where the world shuts the F*** up.
    You may have a point, but a day where you can't buy food, petrol, or travel anywhere is too much of a PITA. As most people work in the week, what they ought to do is close the High Street, shops, banks etc. on a weekday and have full opening at the weekend when the majority have free time.

Usually one of the arguments is the poor workers forced to work on a Sunday, but in reality plenty of part-time or temporary workers are delighted to have the extra hours.

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    Sunday closures are a leftover of a bigoted religion and not of this time

Leave a comment:

• Gumbo Robot
    replied
    Bad.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X