• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Dealing with Council Planners"

Collapse

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    They make it look so easy on TV. Homes under the Hammer - Buy, tin of Magnolia paint, next day EA says £200K profit.
    Hmmmm think I rather would

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    *Update*

Despite best efforts- my trusty spread sheet of costs versus sales only shows a profit of £1.1 million at the end- which when split between 3 brothers and subject to taxes doesn't appear to be a worthwhile exercise bearing in mind the associated hassles

It may be that a pukka developer can attack costs and extract more value but I think the best option would be to put into an Auction with a £1 million reserve and see if there is any interest
    They make it look so easy on TV. Homes under the Hammer - Buy, tin of Magnolia paint, next day EA says £200K profit.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    *Update*

Despite best efforts- my trusty spread sheet of costs versus sales only shows a profit of £1.1 million at the end- which when split between 3 brothers and subject to taxes doesn't appear to be a worthwhile exercise bearing in mind the associated hassles

It may be that a pukka developer can attack costs and extract more value but I think the best option would be to put into an Auction with a £1 million reserve and see if there is any interest

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    What they do round by me is that the developer buys the property and removes just enough of the supporting structure so that it starts to fall apart over the next 12 months.

12 months later planning agree that a total rebuild is allowed.

Takes time but based on the number of properties it's quite obviously happened to, it must be worth it.
    Yep, have watched exactly this myself.
    Seriously worth considering.

Happened next to my dads where a listed barn collapsed, to be replaced by a house, a couple of years down the line.
    This was right in the middle of rural Herefordshire, would never have got planning otherwise.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    What they do round by me is that the developer buys the property and removes just enough of the supporting structure so that it starts to fall apart over the next 12 months.

Takes time but based on the number of properties it's quite obviously happened to, it must be worth it.
    Oh thanks top tip !

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Don't mind annoying Council twunts - but not worth a criminal record
    You hire someone.

AYCOTBAC?

Leave a comment:

• barrydidit
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    Ever heard of an "accidental" fire engulfing a visiting council planner
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    Ever heard of an "accidental" fire
    The trouble is that Arson is taken very seriously by plod - & it would be a bit obvious if all the staircases / doors/ panelling had already been removed

Don't mind annoying Council twunts - but not worth a criminal record

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Also how peeved off they get about an unannounced demolition
    Ever heard of an "accidental" fire

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Been pondering this some more after a site visit over the break.
    To get the property habitable and sellable requires total gutting- reroofing - rebuild of gable ends remedial work to other walls re wiring et et-bleedin-cetera - fag packet estimate of costs is circa 300k

Seems one approach to satisfy the local Conservation Nazi officer would be to pseudo demolish leaving a front façade supported by steelwork frame while the walls are rebuilt etc.
    But if that is the plan then may as well demolish the lot as the worst case scenario is they force a rebuild

So bearing in mind this is only a "building of local interest" listing and not an English Heritage jobbie - besides peeving off the local conservation twot (who I don't think has any statutory powers) - we could demolish without permission having gutted and sold all the period features contained within the building (staircases, fireplaces panelling doors etc) this would help to offset the costs of the demolition and rebuild if required

Suppose it's all about how precious the council is of a view of an 1800's building from the main road as to whether they will force a rebuild

Also how peeved off they get about an unannounced demolition

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    They can be a PITA but then you have to bear in mind the kind of abominations and thoughtless stupidity many people would build if left unchecked.

The UK stance on preservation of listed buildings - what you use rather than whether it looks right - is not very sensible but then you don't have to buy a listed building, and again you will get people tearing down gorgeous old buildings to build grotty flats otherwise - like how 1000-year-old trees used to get pulled down just to harvest their fruit because it was cheaper/easier.

It's a balancing act.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Council planners are bellends. Had a garage conversion planned. Nobhead neighbour tried to prevent it - because he could and he is a total sad case. His argument was I drove over his grass once (by about 5cm) so if I got rid of my garage I might do it more!

Council said sorry you're taking away a parking space so you need to replace it. Bear in mind, this was a garage on a modern house - 1 ft gap either side of the car so we never ever used it.

So I said, OK theres two spaces in front, and I've chippings over the garden so that makes an extra space. No good its got to be a permanent space.

So I searched recent planning for garage conversions. Found two in next street who still had just the two spaces. So I said well you let them do it. Ah ok then. Cracking way to run things....

Incidentally, said neighbour has got a huge RV that he parks on the street. Fair enough, its a taxed vehicle etc but seems a bit much to moan about someone elses parking when you've got a large additional vehicle on the street.

Leave a comment:

• Forgotmylogin
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Yes those homeless refugees love ruining houses.
    Well, they seem to enjoy burning tents.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Yes those homeless refugees love ruining houses.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X