• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The CUK jury decide - guilty or not?"

Collapse

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    other drivers saw him IT and stopped after they passed him IT , they weren't aware it was a man and thought it was an obstruction.

I have some sympathy for her.
    That is pretty much just semantics though. The point I would expect a judge to look at is that he was visible as proved by other drivers. The fact he was not recognisable as a human at that point is a moot point. If you see something on the road which is not definitely a person you still slow down just in case it is and even if it is not it is still likely to be something you do not want to hit!

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
    That is a fair point, however other drivers had seen him and stopped to sort it out so when they compare her driving to theirs she is going to seem guilty. I cannot say for sure but I would think that if I saw something 100 metres ahead on the road I would begin slowing down just in case it is something dangerous.
    other drivers saw him IT and stopped after they passed him IT , they weren't aware it was a man and thought it was an obstruction.

I have some sympathy for her.

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Originally posted by Bacchus View Post
    how many feet do you have?????
    Everyone likes a bit of praise but no, it's not feet!

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Jake the peg.
    I knew it wouldn't over everyone.

Funny thing is my doctor said it was unusual that one of my eyes was far bigger than the other two.

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    No one ever drives with full attention 100% of the time during their entire driving life. The best of us might get close, but it's not realistic to expect 100% 100% of the time.

With that being the case, even though it sounds as though she may have been at fault, it seems an injustice to prosecute her for running over some numpty sleeping in the middle of the road.

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Guilty of driving without due care and attention.

10:15 at night in March isn't pitch black so would still be light and a person is big enough for you to see, mitigating circumstances are if I see an animal in the road and can't stop in time I hit it, sorry but swerving etc. to avoid an animal only puts you and other road users at risk. Also the druck has to take some of the blame too
    22:15 in March *is* pitch black without moonlight.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by Bacchus View Post
    Jake the peg.

Leave a comment:

• Bacchus
    replied
    Originally posted by tractor View Post
    Plus I stagger on a bus when I'm sober, something to do with hanging on the strap and not planting my feet in a triangle for stability.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Where do they find these lightweights? 3x the limit is about a bottle of wine - gets you a bit merry, but you're not going to be lying comatose in the road from it.
    You obviously missed the Horizon program on alcohol. Some people cannot process alcohol at all while others do it very slowly, so they get drunk quicker.

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Where do they find these lightweights? 3x the limit is about a bottle of wine - gets you a bit merry, but you're not going to be lying comatose in the road from it.
    Plus I stagger on a bus when I'm sober, something to do with hanging on the strap and not planting my feet in a triangle for stability.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Driver 'ran over drunk student as he lay asleep in the road' - Telegraph

-------------------------------------------------------------
    Miss Jackson later told police she thought she had run over the body of a badger, having had no idea the dark mound in the road was a person.

Mr Dry said: "By her account she had not been aware of the object until she was on top of it, with no time to brake. She said she first became aware of it a metre away.

"She accepts she had things on her mind and may have been chatting to her passenger and may have been distracted.

"It is the crown's case she cannot have been paying proper attention given her failure to see the danger and take appropriate action."

Miss Cook, of Willington, County Durham, denies causing death by careless driving and the trial continues.
    -------------------------------------------------------------

Personally I say guilty. I get fed up with people driving a car like they are out walking. They are in control of a dangerous weapon and should act accordingly.
    It was only a student, FFS there's plenty more out there.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    I am guessing they found him that high when they tested him which was after his body had had hours to process the rest of what he had drunk?

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by Torygraph
    Opening the trial, prosecutor Nick Dry said Mr Cook was found to be three times the legal drink drive limit and had been staggering on a bus and then by the roadside before the incident at 10.15pm on March 20 last year.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Never realised Brian May had a black nose. You live and learn hey.
    But his hair makes a great shaving brush.

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    Originally posted by I just need to test it View Post
    My wife's got perfect vision by day but by night it's appalling, .
    You are one lucky arse ...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X