• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Case Studies Needed - Lying on CV"

Collapse

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by Epiphone
    Because you don't in NT4.

Yup, Didnt appear untill Win 2000. Before that it was a case of flattening the box and reinstalling to get the option to make it a PDC or BDC.

Leave a comment:

• Epiphone
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco

Most amusing liar I have ever met is a NT4 system admin with an MCSE who didn't know that you had to dcpromo a box to make it a domain controller.
    Because you don't in NT4.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    Was he fat and did he drive 2 BMWs at the same time?

No, a bit porky but too short to be threaded, and he didn't have a car. Not in Germany anyway.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100
    Anyway, he was a bog-standard tech author like me, but according to his CV he was a developer of systems that had never needed any support because they never went wrong.
    Was he fat and did he drive 2 BMWs at the same time?

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish
    "However, I've worked with a few who must have!"

Mr Andy 'baldy' White is one which springs to mind
    Ah yes. Did he ever get that Hello World program working?

I knew one in Germany, Bulltulip Bailey he was called. Annoying so-and-so at times, such as when he wouldn't have it that Libya was in Africa and not the middle east.

Anyway, he was a bog-standard tech author like me, but according to his CV he was a developer of systems that had never needed any support because they never went wrong.

The last time I saw him, he was telling everyone that the Marketing Director of Alcatel in Stuttgart was taking him out to lunch to ask his advice about products. He was deadly serious! I might be wrong but I don't think his contract was renewed!

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Originally posted by Ivor1
    I was asked to review a load of CV's for my replacement at a large bank who were outsourcing my role to India. After reviewing 10 of the CV's I noticed a couple of common themes, they had all done the same degree at the same university, during the same time period. Then I noticed they all claimed to have the same experience but at different employers and they all had the same number of previous employers, the CVs were just too close. I checked the document properties in Word and could see the orginal CV had been used for ALL their people they put forward, the only changes were names, date of birth and few lines here and there. When we spoke to them they denied it, still management took 4 of them on and they were all cr*p.

The word of a senior manager was they do factor into the cost they willl screw up, but even if they do they are still cheaper than contractors.
    Sounds like management got everything they deserved. I'd have tried to get the agency sued and struck of the suppliers list personally

Leave a comment:

• Ivor1
    replied
    I was asked to review a load of CV's for my replacement at a large bank who were outsourcing my role to India. After reviewing 10 of the CV's I noticed a couple of common themes, they had all done the same degree at the same university, during the same time period. Then I noticed they all claimed to have the same experience but at different employers and they all had the same number of previous employers, the CVs were just too close. I checked the document properties in Word and could see the orginal CV had been used for ALL their people they put forward, the only changes were names, date of birth and few lines here and there. When we spoke to them they denied it, still management took 4 of them on and they were all cr*p.

The word of a senior manager was they do factor into the cost they willl screw up, but even if they do they are still cheaper than contractors.
    Last edited by Ivor1; 26 September 2006, 16:19.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy\/\/
    Looks like Andyw responded to one of those penis enlargement spams.
    Last edited by sasguru; 26 September 2006, 16:03.

Leave a comment:

• Andy\/\/
    replied
    I lied about my age - I'm only 13.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan
    Fluffer to Bill Clinton?
    Nah - this was in my permie days before I started whoreing.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    "I once had a CV sent to me where the cheeky fcuker had put on it that he had done one of MY roles. He even had the right dates as well. "

Fluffer to Bill Clinton?

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    I once had a CV sent to me where the cheeky fcuker had put on it that he had done one of MY roles. He even had the right dates as well.

Leave a comment:

• oraclesmith
    replied
    I once interviewed someone who claimed, amongst many other things, to have some experience with UNIX. Being rather more cynical than my colleagues, I decided to pick up on this and ask him if he knew what certain commands do - such as ls, mv and grep - not exactly difficult stuff. He couldn't answer properly. When I asked why he didn't know about them and yet he'd put it on his CV, he answered that his wife was learning UNIX for a degree course and that she'd got the training material at home if he needed to use it!

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    "However, I've worked with a few who must have!"

Mr Andy 'baldy' White is one which springs to mind

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Sorry Nicky P, I've never lied on my CV either. However, I've worked with a few who must have!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X