• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Earning more money; bagging the fabulous job you have always wanted ..."

Collapse

• MarillionFan
    replied
    What first attracted you to the multimillionaire serial liar Sasguru Mrs Guru?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by unixman View Post
    Heard once that money fails to bring happiness with one exception. It allows you to live in a nice place, and that can genuinely improve your happiness level.

Not if your f***ing neighbours annoy you which commonly happens in the UK however big your house is.

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied
    Heard once that money fails to bring happiness with one exception. It allows you to live in a nice place, and that can genuinely improve your happiness level. I broadly agree. On the other hand, wasn't it Samuel Peyps who wrote that money "sweetens all things" ?
    Last edited by unixman; 1 June 2015, 16:36.

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Money buys choices and freedom.

If you have money you are free to choose what you do, where you live and how you spend your time.

Money is the oil that lubricates the wheels of choices and freedoms.

Simple as.
    Although it's earning those choices & freedoms which really brings the true happiness - the money is incidental.
    That's why so many celebrities & lottery winners self-destruct when they hit the big time.

I suppose that a helicopter drop of cash could give you the freedom to do what you want, and that you could do great things. But then you're probably (if you really would do great things) the kind of person that would have made good money anyway.

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    Depends whether you're supposing that it's the money that makes you happy, or what you do to earn that money which makes you happy.
    Apart from being needed for the essentials, money doesn't bring happiness. They just tend to coincide as what brings real happiness tends to bring money too.

no man may be smaller than his money
    -- Fransisco D'anconia.

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    Originally posted by SunnyInHades View Post
    ....average 9.75"

....Irresistible to women
    So, size DOES matter!

Leave a comment:

• MicrosoftBob
    replied
    Having the missus let me buy a Nikon 200-400mm F4 without getting buried in the garden afterwards, is why earning money matters

You can spend it on wine, women, and toys and waste the rest

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Spit lubricates just as well. Read that on Mumsnet.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

If you have money you are free to choose what you do, where you live and how you spend your time.

Simple as.
    Spit lubricates just as well. Read that in Womans Weekly.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied

Simple as.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    I'm never happy. Bah humbug.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    100% true.
    'Real' money can turn any man, irrespective of his age, looks, background or history into a male no woman can resist. If that's not happiness for a man I don't know what is.

From the book/TV series 'Human Instinct' by Dr. Robert Winston ..

"Women on the whole, prefer high-status ambitious males. How do these men show women their status ? They display symbols of their financial and social superiority.
    Same guy, same actions - drive, walk sit.
    Day 1: Not a glance from women
    Day 2: Irresistible to women
    If he had well groomed and neatly but economically dressed without the status symbols he would have probably have had a reasonable score. Poor science.

The judges were selected to prefer status symbols as well.

But generally I would prefer to be miserable in comfort rather than in poverty.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    100% true.
    'Real' money can turn any man, irrespective of his age, looks, background or history into a male no woman can resist. If that's not happiness for a man I don't know what is.

"Women on the whole, prefer high-status ambitious males. How do these men show women their status ? They display symbols of their financial and social superiority. I am reminded of my trip to Los Angeles to make the programme on sex in the Human Instinct series. The BBC had arranged for four fashionable women to sit at an outdoor cafe on a smart Beverley Hills boulevard. They were given cards to score the next male to drive up and sit at the next table on the sidewalk. Unknown to them, my producer had persuaded the cafe owner to keep the table for me. I drove up in an old banger, a Ford obtained from one of the local film studios. I wore a jumper and torn trousers, with dirty sneakers. When the ladies held up cards like ice-rink judges, my four scores were 0, 0, 1, 0, average 0.25.

The next day I had a manicure at a beauty salon and a shampoo and haircut done by Laurent, who does Gwyneth Paltrow's and Meg Ryan's hair. I wore a twenty-five-thousand-dollar set of cufflinks borrowed from Harry Winston's, a thirty-thousand dollar diamond studded watch from Cartier, and a Versace suit and tie from Rodeo Drive. And I was driving a brand-new open top Bentley worth a quarter of a million dollars. As I walked past the same table and sat down, the cards went up: 10, 9, 10, 10, average 9.75"

This is why I drive the highest spec Passat I can afford.

Leave a comment:

• SunnyInHades
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Money can't buy you love but it can buy you a lot of poontang
    100% true.

"Women on the whole, prefer high-status ambitious males. How do these men show women their status ? They display symbols of their financial and social superiority. I am reminded of my trip to Los Angeles to make the programme on sex in the Human Instinct series. The BBC had arranged for four fashionable women to sit at an outdoor cafe on a smart Beverley Hills boulevard. They were given cards to score the next male to drive up and sit at the next table on the sidewalk. Unknown to them, my producer had persuaded the cafe owner to keep the table for me. I drove up in an old banger, a Ford obtained from one of the local film studios. I wore a jumper and torn trousers, with dirty sneakers. When the ladies held up cards like ice-rink judges, my four scores were 0, 0, 1, 0, average 0.25.

The next day I had a manicure at a beauty salon and a shampoo and haircut done by Laurent, who does Gwyneth Paltrow's and Meg Ryan's hair. I wore a twenty-five-thousand-dollar set of cufflinks borrowed from Harry Winston's, a thirty-thousand dollar diamond studded watch from Cartier, and a Versace suit and tie from Rodeo Drive. And I was driving a brand-new open top Bentley worth a quarter of a million dollars. As I walked past the same table and sat down, the cards went up: 10, 9, 10, 10, average 9.75"

Leave a comment:

• WordIsBond
    replied
    Originally posted by wonderboy View Post
    "Energy-saving lightbulbs can prevent good sleep".
    I've tested this. It didn't matter which lightbulbs I used, I didn't sleep well. Finally the wife got fed up and told me to turn the thing off at night, and it worked a trick.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X