• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Setting up a Barclays savings account"

Collapse

• Zero Liability
    replied
    If it's a personal savings account, First Direct has a pretty good regular saver attached to its current account (only downside is it's restricted to £250 pm IIRC). I have also found them very good to deal with compared to other banks. Once the current account is up, it's easy to apply for their other products.

Leave a comment:

• Smartie
    replied
    Try this

Banking & Savings Accounts: Aldermore Bank Financial Solutions

Leave a comment:

• Bacchus
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Was Barclays at lunchtime, aiming to open a savings account.

As a current account holder with them for some forty years, I assumed this would involve just filling in a form, which they would rubber stamp, and job done.

But apparently these days one must be interviewed by a personal banker, and none was available for more than a week.

So I told the cashier I would try a different bank, and walked out in a huff, although I have a horrible feeling all banks will be the same.

This must sound like one of EO's GPO stories ("We'll try and set up your telephone service within the next six months. What colour telephone receiver would you like sir?". "What colours do you have?". "Black". "Hmm, OK I'll take black."), except I suspect there are dozens of different kinds of savings accounts.

Barclays premier. Just phone your premier manager and ask him/her to set it up for you. Easy peasy.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by SunnyInHades View Post
    Those 'just off the boat' with 'Refugee' or 'Asylum seeker' status can get a savings account from Metro Bank ...

"If you are unable to provide some of the documents we normally need for verification you can still apply for
    our Cash Account and/or Savings Account products, and we’ll accept the following:

• Refugees: Immigration Status Document with
    Residence Permit or an IND travel document.
    Both need to be issued by the Home Office.

• Asylum seekers: IND Applicant Registration Card
    (ARC) issued by the Home Office stating your eligibility
    for employment in the UK.
    "

Crazy man, crazy.
    You think it's crazy that banks accept identity documents issued by the government? Is it also crazy that they accept driving licences and passports?

Leave a comment:

• SunnyInHades
    replied
    Those 'just off the boat' with 'Refugee' or 'Asylum seeker' status can get a savings account from Metro Bank ...

"If you are unable to provide some of the documents we normally need for verification you can still apply for
    our Cash Account and/or Savings Account products, and we’ll accept the following:

• Refugees: Immigration Status Document with
    Residence Permit or an IND travel document.
    Both need to be issued by the Home Office.

• Asylum seekers: IND Applicant Registration Card
    (ARC) issued by the Home Office stating your eligibility
    for employment in the UK.
    "

Crazy man, crazy.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied

As a current account holder with them for some forty years, I assumed this would involve just filling in a form, which they would rubber stamp, and job done.

But apparently these days one must be interviewed by a personal banker, and none was available for more than a week.

So I told the cashier I would try a different bank, and walked out in a huff, although I have a horrible feeling all banks will be the same.

This must sound like one of EO's GPO stories ("We'll try and set up your telephone service within the next six months. What colour telephone receiver would you like sir?". "What colours do you have?". "Black". "Hmm, OK I'll take black."), except I suspect there are dozens of different kinds of savings accounts.
    Just log into your online backing and open an account that way, simples!

Leave a comment:

• Ticktock
    replied
    You're all obviously dodgy. I set up the savings account in about 2 minutes online.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied

Had a similar experience with HSBC. They wanted to a credit check and a money laundering check for a savings account. I was told it will take at least two weeks and I will have to come back for an interview.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Opened a new ISA at my home branch (not Barclays) was required to have a face to face meeting too. I assume it's laundering regulations or something.

Leave a comment:

• GlenW
    replied
    Originally posted by Unix View Post
    Doesn't sound right, I opened savings accounts with Barclays online, you must look right dodgy.
    Same with TSB.

Leave a comment:

• Unix
    replied

Doesn't sound right, I opened savings accounts with Barclays online, you must look right dodgy.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied

Yep all the same now. You have to take a psychometric test followed by an IQ test. Depending on how you score in both tests, they decide whether your a nutter and just need a basic account, or someone they can sell PPI to. Dirty spekulants.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    started a topic Setting up a Barclays savings account

Setting up a Barclays savings account

Working...
X