• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Investment Disaster"

Collapse

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    When I was a young lad, (17 to be precise) I worked for the GPO.
    One day I was just about to go to the chippy for me and the gaffer, when he pulled over and nipped into the bookies.
    When he came out I asked him what it was all about and he told me he had put a fiver on a dead cert at 20-1.
    So naturally I spent me weeks dinner money and bus fare home, because I really needed that hundred quid.
    That horse is still running and for the rest of the week I starved and wore me shoes out walking home. It was the best thing that could have happened!
    I never ever had the urge to gamble, I became risk averse and I just wished the gaffer had taken me to the pub and got me a bad hangover because then I wouldn't be a boozer either.

that's by the by. A while back I stuck 10 k of my ISA allowance on a VERY high risk fund. The missus was furious, she made me promise never to be so stupid again and I agreed.
    It was out of character, I felt slightly ashamed and all capitalistical. I felt 'dirty'
    And now, disaster. The bastid money got taken out of me bank last week and the fund has been making a hundred quid a day.

I feel like a spiv
    You're not cut out to be a dirty spekulant. Stick to nicking hub cubs and saying 'Alright, alright, alright' in a high pitched whiney voice.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    that's by the by. A while back I stuck 10 k of my ISA allowance on a VERY high risk fund. The missus was furious, she made me promise never to be so stupid again and I agreed.
    It was out of character, I felt slightly ashamed and all capitalistical. I felt 'dirty'
    And now, disaster. The bastid money got taken out of me bank last week and the fund has been making a hundred quid a day.

I feel like a spiv
    MF wrong Sockie!

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    One day I was just about to go to the chippy for me and the gaffer, when he pulled over and nipped into the bookies.
    When he came out I asked him what it was all about and he told me he had put a fiver on a dead cert at 20-1.
    So naturally I spent me weeks dinner money and bus fare home, because I really needed that hundred quid.
    That horse is still running and for the rest of the week I starved and wore me shoes out walking home. It was the best thing that could have happened!
    I never ever had the urge to gamble, I became risk averse and I just wished the gaffer had taken me to the pub and got me a bad hangover because then I wouldn't be a boozer either.

I feel like a spiv
    I do love your GPO stories, they have been a bit sparse lately.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    If the value doubles in ten years
    I would rather see it plummet then perform brill in the last six months
    than perform brill then stay steady

if you see what I mean.
    keeps the temptation under wraps

Leave a comment:

• pjclarke
    replied
    AER > 300%? You bought a share in Wonga?

I feel foolish now, my sample portfolio is only up 5%, plus a mere £90 odd in dividends.

Be sure to let us know when it all comes crashing down ...
    Last edited by pjclarke; 29 May 2015, 13:30.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    started a topic Investment Disaster

Investment Disaster

I feel like a spiv

Working...
X