• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Voluntary Redundancy"

Collapse

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    This is the longest I've tolerated any job.

Plus I've got gate fever.

But at 61, it's not likely that I'll work again.

I don't think R*ch*rd J*yce has much in the way of embedded software engineering/electronics on his books.

Mech eng, on the other hand.
    To be fair, you've not been doing too much work anyway.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Mostly coz I'm not moving this fecking lab for a 3rd time.

It's heavy, man, really really heavy.
    That would be all the "esteemed customers" you have killed and stored. Better get eating them....

Leave a comment:

• FarmerPalmer
    replied
    It'll be about the statutory minimum, so £5 or 6k ish.

Plus I'd lose 4 years of pension contributions.

It's a bit tricky really.

Depends how much they want to reduce the payroll to the bottom of the scale again for the newbie, though that's only about £2.5k ish IIRC.
    If you want to and can afford to retire go for it, otherwise for that I'd hang in there.

When I got VR it was a lot more than that, I wouldn't have applied at statutory minimum.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    I'm being offered the chance to take unpaid leave. Good job I'm not a grown up otherwise I would be told to take unpaid leave.

but I'm taking couple of weeks of sunshine off!

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    I'm getting involuntary redundancy. After 2 years I get £1400, and I only get that if I stay until the last month. This is the second job in a row I've lost to in-sourcing - i.e. back to the US.

They're closing the site, so everybody including the boss and a couple of contractors are all going. Needless to say nobody is very motivated.

Leave a comment:

• Flashman
    replied

Depends how much they want to reduce the payroll to the bottom of the scale again for the newbie, though that's only about £2.5k ish IIRC.
    You'll easily burn through that amount in a few months. Nowhere near enough unless you really hate the place.

Leave a comment:

• I just need to test it
    replied
    I agree with alphadog.

Yom yom, by the way.

Leave a comment:

• alphadog
    replied

I wouldn't do it - sounds like a bad deal to me.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Many moons ago I go 'offered' VR by my boss with a note saying that it would be in my best interests to take it. Asked HR what the package was (not a lot to be fair), showed them the email and asked them to double it. Got agreement same day as long as I signed a waiver not to sue them later. Happy days.
    Similar happened to my boss somewhere - she had an email from the new management team that said at the end (almost exact words) "Basically, with the changes to structure, there's no job here for you any more - have you considered resigning?"

That turned out to be VERY costly in the end

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Voluntary Redundancy made me the man I am today! Bet thing that ever happened to me.

Leave a comment:

• MicrosoftBob
    replied
    Voluntary redundancy was the best thing I've ever done

Leave a comment:

• Ticktock
    replied
    I was made (not voluntary) redundant after several years with a large US firm. I got a great payout from them. Best thing that ever happened to me.

Leave a comment:

• I just need to test it
    replied
    If one more person remarks that taking voluntary redundancy was the best thing they've ever done I'm going to eat Bear Grylls' jockstrap.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Just think Zeity - with VR you could spend more time with your family!
    WHS, don't leave.

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied

Stay, at your stage the pension is the important bit. You could ask them to make up the contributions to 65.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X