• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Driving Licence Changes"

Collapse

• Alias
    replied
    Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post
    Good luck trying. You haven't been able to do that for years now.

It's all about being more efficient (taking your money).
    Done it twice already so not a problem

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Where you actually speeding? I got pulled over in France with a few other British cars. They said to me I had been doing 110 miles an hour, once they said that I started complaining (can't remember ever doing 110). 3 of them looked at my reg again, had a discussion and waved me on, said something about a colleague calling in the wrong reg.

Looks like they use the British as a revenue stream.
    Errr, yes. It was about 80mph ish (120kph) on a road that was 90kph (i.e. about 60). But it was a long wide straight A-road with an overtaking lane down the middle. Pretty stupid building a road like that if you're going to prosecute people for using it. Then again, perhaps that was the idea. I'm sure they weren't unhappy to be stopping a British car.

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    Originally posted by alluvial View Post
    Don't get caught speeding. Your nice paper only licence will miraculously disappear in the post and you'll have to cough up for a shiny plastic one.
    Or go on the speed awareness course and keep the paper one

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Doesn't it say you will be able to check online so actually makes it easier for the companies and easier for us not having to try and find old bits of paper? Just poor reporting?
    To be able to get a validated one, you need to get a code. The code only lasts for 72 hours. So if you're hiring in the middle of a 2 week holiday (as I am), you have to either find someone with a connection that you can get the code first, or pay roaming charges, or have the car hire company ring the DVLA premium rate number (opening hours TBC) and check then.

I'm hiring three cars in the summer and will only be at home to get a code before the first one. So I'll have to either find somewhere to get it done online, or hope they don't know.

There was also a piece in the Guardian about this at the weekend mentioning that when they checked the details now, someone found that according to the new system they had no entitlements to drive any vehicle.

At least it's not like they're changing it in the run-up to the peak hiring time.

Leave a comment:

• alluvial
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    You and me both.

As they say in septicland apparently.
    Don't get caught speeding. Your nice paper only licence will miraculously disappear in the post and you'll have to cough up for a shiny plastic one.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Doesn't it say you will be able to check online so actually makes it easier for the companies and easier for us not having to try and find old bits of paper? Just poor reporting?

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Albert
    replied
    Originally posted by Alias View Post
    Not really, they can change the address on it and issue a new paper one...
    Good luck trying. You haven't been able to do that for years now.

It's all about being more efficient (taking your money).

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    I was done for speeding in France the other week. I was always told you need to carry both parts of your licence, as well as the car registration and insurance whilst abroad, though I'm sure I've forgotten on more than one trip. This trip I did remember, but all he asked for was the car registration and my card licence and wasn't interested in the rest.
    Where you actually speeding? I got pulled over in France with a few other British cars. They said to me I had been doing 110 miles an hour, once they said that I started complaining (can't remember ever doing 110). 3 of them looked at my reg again, had a discussion and waved me on, said something about a colleague calling in the wrong reg.

Looks like they use the British as a revenue stream.

Leave a comment:

• Alias
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    I had to get the plastic thing when I moved house some years back, any change at all and you will have to do the same.
    Not really, they can change the address on it and issue a new paper one...

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    You and me both.

As they say in septicland apparently.
    I had to get the plastic thing when I moved house some years back, any change at all and you will have to do the same.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    And 100 euros in a brown paper bag surely?
    90 Euros, and it was lucky I had that as staying with family means I don't bother taking much cash.

What pissed me off the most about it was that he spoke to me in English.

Leave a comment:

• Alias
    replied
    I only have a paper licence

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    I was done for speeding in France the other week. I was always told you need to carry both parts of your licence, as well as the car registration and insurance whilst abroad, though I'm sure I've forgotten on more than one trip. This trip I did remember, but all he asked for was the car registration and my card licence and wasn't interested in the rest.
    And 100 euros in a brown paper bag surely?

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Seems weird. My Swiss driving licence follows the normal European format, with no "paper counterpart", and hence no list of any violations. In fact, that information is kept entirely separate - there's no point system, just a record kept of any serious violations you perpetrate (marginal speeding isn't recorded). Why should UK drivers be singled out and have to provide a "code"?
    No idea and quite possibly the car hire companies in Europe scratch their heads when they hear about this stuff. You would have thought that there would be a Europe wide approach since they issue a standardised plastic bit, clearly that's too sensible.

I admit that I didn't know about the scrapping of the paper counterpart, I guess I missed it being in the news.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X