• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Codes that changed the world"

Collapse

• expat
    replied
    Clearly codes is the plural of code, but in this context code is an abstract noun not having a plural.

Leave a comment:

• alluvial
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    6502 assembler, to be precise - I believe it was from something for the Apple II
    From IMDB:

Shots through the Terminator's vision shows a dump of the ROM assembler code for the Apple II operating system. If you own an Apple II, enter at the basic prompt: ] call -151 * p This will give you the terminator view. Other code visible is written in COBOL.
    Anyone stillgot one of them?

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    It's years since I watched it, but all I can remember of the code shown is that it was written in assembler.

6502 assembler, to be precise - I believe it was from something for the Apple II

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    I always make a point of using "datum" when there's only one of them. That seems to annoy some people

Leave a comment:

• Euler
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Wait until the first person says datas
    Data is another one whose usage has changed.
    Interestingly people are more correct nowadays.
    I recall people saying "this data is ...", nowadays almost everyone uses the correct "these data are ....".
    Maybe negating my point about the dumbing down of society ....

Leave a comment:

• alluvial
    replied
    Sorry, that bloke lost all credilbility with me when he said that COBOL stands for Combined Business Oriented Language and then assumes it must be an accounting programme just because it's COBOL.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by Euler View Post
    It's all part of the dumbing down of society.
    Wait until the first person says datas

Leave a comment:

• Euler
    replied
    I suggest you write & complain to the BBC.

In as much as the programme title refers to different coding languages, you may or may not be onto a winner.
    It's all part of the dumbing down of society.

Leave a comment:

• Euler
    replied
    "Codes" has always been the plural of "code". Otherwise people would say things like "The enemy used several different code, but they were all broken", or "To enter the vault you must input two different entry code on separate keypads", or "The judicial system was based on elements of several different penal code of other countries"; and they don't say those things, because the correct word in all those cases is "codes".
    Not when it relates to computer code.
    In the 80s, 90s and 00s you'd say "do you want to check my code?" for example.
    You'll find it's non-techies and newbies who might say, nowadays, "Check my codes".

http://english.stackexchange.com/que...amming-context

Edited: In the context of the Op's post, "code" would be correct not "codes"
    Last edited by Euler; 13 April 2015, 11:31.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    "Codes" has always been the plural of "code". Otherwise people would say things like "The enemy used several different code, but they were all broken", or "To enter the vault you must input two different entry code on separate keypads", or "The judicial system was based on elements of several different penal code of other countries"; and they don't say those things, because the correct word in all those cases is "codes".
    whs
    last year I hab a code, this year I hab a code
    that's two codes. not two code

atishoo.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Euler View Post
    At what point did the plural for code become codes rather than code?
    I can't abide that usage.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    If it's machine code it plainly needs some oil.

Try WD40 or 3 in 1.
    I god WMD40

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    I'b sorry, I hab a code

Leave a comment:

• Euler
    replied
    At what point did the plural for code become codes rather than code?
    I can't abide that usage.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    That's the one!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X